Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to rotivate 95m2 garden and level

Options
  • 01-03-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what it would cost to rotivate a 95m2 garden and level it off for seeding?

It's levelish enough at the momment but it has been untouched for a year so it probably just needs turning, major & intermediate size stones removed and levelled in preperation for seeding.

The house is in Shercock, Cavan, so if anyone knows anyone there or can recommend someone, please let me know. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can't recommend anyone but make sure that stones are removed & not rolled in. Also once the area is rotavated it must be left for a few weeks & then sprayed with roundup to kill remaining weeds before seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

well cant help with a landscaper in caven but of the top of me head 1000 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

cormywormy wrote: »
    well cant help with a landscaper in caven but of the top of me head 1000 tops.

How long do you think it would take to rotovate the area? I reckon < 4 hrs absolute tops, cowboys might take the full day. Moneywise its max a days pay. Cavan rates ? Haven't a clue, otherwise if you pay > € 300 you're paying too much!!

well lets say you were doing the garden on saturday. So on monday or tuesday you would plough the garden to get up good soil and bury the rubbish.Then hope for dry weather and let the ground dry. Then rotavate it and level it. I did my uncles lawn and its a quater of an acre i ploughed it on monday and rotavated it on friday.It took from 9 in the morning til 5pm to go over it a few times to break it up well. then saturday morning i got another tractor with a leveling bar and used that. then got the famly members (5) and raked the whole lot after a final rotavate and level. then a run of a harrow for grass to break it up more.Threw the seed over it and its growing great. charged him 400 but he was family. and a bottle of whisky for the man who gave a 2 tractors.Doing another lawn in the coming weeks about quarter or half an acre will charge to plough, level, rotavate and seed about 400-600

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A quarter of an acre is over 1,000 square metres.

A 95 m2 garden is less than 10m x 10m. Really shouldn't be comparable on time tbh, or someone somewhere isn't being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

How long do you think it would take to rotovate the area? I reckon < 4 hrs absolute tops, cowboys might take the full day. Moneywise its max a days pay. Cavan rates ? Haven't a clue, otherwise if you pay > € 300 you're paying too much!!

Decent Rotavator will cost €100 to rent alone. I think you would be hard pushed to rotavate 1m2 in less than 3 mins. The only way you could is with a Small Tractor and Rotavator. Then time to rake and level it. 4 hours is way to little time.

Are there a lot of weeds in it?
    Most weed killers need to be applied on plants that are in growth, so you would really need to wait another few weeks. Read instructions on any of the leading weedkillers. Its best try get rid of the perenial weeds. As suggested eralier, wait a few days for weed seeds tro germinate and spray again. If you stretch to it buy lawn turf. It will cost around €4 a sq/m. Any remianing seeds will not germinate through the lawn turf.

Cant help with names to do job :-( Might be worth posting in "Region/North East/Cavan" and link to this post.

Mylow wrote: »
    Decent Rotavator will cost €100 to rent alone. I think you would be hard pushed to rotavate 1m2 in less than 3 mins. The only way you could is with a Small Tractor and Rotavator. Then time to rake and level it. 4 hours is way to little time.

Are there a lot of weeds in it?
    Most weed killers need to be applied on plants that are in growth, so you would really need to wait another few weeks. Read instructions on any of the leading weedkillers. Its best try get rid of the perenial weeds. As suggested eralier, wait a few days for weed seeds tro germinate and spray again. If you stretch to it buy lawn turf. It will cost around €4 a sq/m. Any remianing seeds will not germinate through the lawn turf.

Cant help with names to do job :-( Might be worth posting in "Region/North East/Cavan" and link to this post.

Why would a professional landscaper need to hire a rotovator (a bit like a carpenter hiring a saw!!)? Anyways, a decent rotovator eg a two wheeled tractor (Sep 1900) with interchangeable rotovator/tiller would wipe this task out in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

there are very little weeds and its very small so I would say 3-4 hrs...going by what I got done before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

never mind, didn't read the thread properly.

Sorry its that small, id say 400 is maximum for a perfect finish using quality machines,by a pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

First quote in - €3000 :eek::eek:

Some chancers out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

I got a 3/4 acre site rotivated last year for 275euro. That was just rotivate, no rolling etc. But the land was more of less level so with time and NO animals running on it it will harden up and be fine. Id say keep pricing around. 1000 euro is pure madness. No wonder the country is in the state its in with people trying to rip eachother off left right and centre!!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Why would a professional landscaper need to hire a rotovator (a bit like a carpenter hiring a saw!!)? Anyways, a decent rotovator eg a two wheeled tractor (Sep 1900) with interchangeable rotovator/tiller would wipe this task out in no time.

Saw is not quiet same price as rotovator. Do you think he will provide rotavator for nothing? Maybe all those transport companies shouldn't factor in cost of lorry/insurance/fuel.

Its very simple, the rotovator has a cost (purcahse/lease/depriciation) etc. You have to be practical about it, there is a cost, plain and simple, if you cannot cover your basic costs then no point in offering a service. It's ;ike the old adage, 'Those who work for nothing will always be busy'.

You will find the size of job doesn't allow you to use a two wheel tractor, lack of access. Hence it requires more labour.

OP...lets us know what the final outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

In the current climate I'd put this down as at least a good days pay. Its not a days work on site, but equipment and travel to site needs to be covered. Cavan is outside of my circle, though for €3000 I'll plant each grass seed the right way up.

Mylow wrote: »
    Saw is not quiet same price as rotovator. Do you think he will provide rotavator for nothing? Maybe all those transport companies shouldn't factor in cost of lorry/insurance/fuel.

Its very simple, the rotovator has a cost (purcahse/lease/depriciation) etc. You have to be practical about it, there is a cost, plain and simple, if you cannot cover your basic costs then no point in offering a service. It's ;ike the old adage, 'Those who work for nothing will always be busy'.

You will find the size of job doesn't allow you to use a two wheel tractor, lack of access. Hence it requires more labour.

OP...lets us know what the final outcome is.

Are you trying to teach me how to suck eggs?

You're quite right, saw is not quiet same price as rotovator, sometimes the saw can be much more expensive, and anyways after 5 years, equipment has zero book value. Maintenance (+costs) are minimal. All time, labour, equipment and overheads must of course be costed, and who said anything about not charging or doing below cost?? A well organised business can estimate very quickly the OH cost/unit hr, no matter what!

But some here do not how to cost never mind give realistic estimates.

There are two wheel tractors not much wider than the bog standard rotovator and hardly any access issues. I've no idea what your point is. My cost analysis would assess this job as <€300 and many others have since being similar. It's a small area and therefore unlikely to appeal to any Dublin based landscapers. But maybe the OP will pay over the odds and hire one of the other 'know-all' experts? I noticed you didn't offer to help the OP and give an indication of what the job might cost, need a calculator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 souldeep

Does anyone know any company in Dublin that can do this kind of job?

How much should I be looking at paying for a 10 foot by 20 foot area?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

2 stroke, ill go halves with ya!!!

ok, 10x20 foot? cud you not just get out the digging fork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 souldeep

wreckless wrote: »
    2 stroke, ill go halves with ya!!!

ok, 10x20 foot? cud you not just get out the digging fork?

Will also need grass sown or roll out lawn laid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

souldeep wrote: »
    Will also need grass sown or roll out lawn laid

I am in the middle of finsihing just such a project and it really is not hard.
    If your area is cleared of large stones and weeds then just hire a rotovator. You should get one delivered for about €40 for a day. Or from Sat to mon if you have it delivered on a saturday.
    The machine it'self is heavy and cumbersom but once you have started there is only about an hours work in the area you are talking about which is quite small. I did a 25M sqr in about 90 minutes.
    It is physically hard work, but not difficult to do, if that makes sense.
    Then just rake it down to approx level and leave to settle for a week. Then put an inch of topsoil over this, rake even again and roll your new turf, or spread seeds....

Advertisement