Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite MMORPG??

• 01-03-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Out of interest for something I'm doing for college, what are your favourite MMORPGs, and why?? What's the best MMORPG out there??

No fanboys please :p Reasons as to why you feel something is the best MMORPG on the market would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

How did I know that somebody would say that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Ultima Online

(Dunno if Darkfall will replace it but time will tell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Age of conan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ultima Online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Pretty close between Ultima Online and Planetside (at its peak). Though UO probably hedges a bit ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Neocron back in the day !

WoW kept me interested for a long time... but that game is just a Routine/Grind!

And Darkfall has kept me glued to my PC anytime im not working :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

City of heroes / villains

like the number of alts you can have
    love the character designer
    the high end content is great though low levels can be a slog unless you are on a team
    continuous new content being released including huge changes and new features (Invention system for change and the upcoming mission architect for features).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ok, gonna have to change my vote to a split between UO/Planetside and Darkfall but since Darkfall is the only one I am still currently playing, I think it is the clear winner :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

KoKane wrote: »
    Ultima Online

(Dunno if Darkfall will replace it but time will tell)
    Leprachaun wrote: »
    Age of conan.
    Venom wrote: »
    Ultima Online

Reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Darkfall, it's fresh, it's new, it's full loot, it's sandbox and most of all it is a shítload of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Dark Age of Camelot first ---- > For the PvP , team fights mainly 8v8 when it came to skill

now Eve online for the reason it is cut throat , you kill some one in that and you know you have ruined there day / week ( Depending on what they where flying :) ) Also for the same reason you think hard about PvP and weights the gains and losses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Darkfall.

Edit: Exhilerating. Huge risk/reward gameplay. Great team game. Solo play is risky but exciting, you will feel like a navy seal creeping around on your own. First and third person perspectives, mounted combat with a nice amount of depth, same for melee combat, magic is hard to do and will only pay off with practice, good group capacity limit, macro friendly, built in clan browser etc, naval combat, ship and city building, sieges, alliances, racial emnity. Need I go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Darkfall.

Edit: Exhilerating. Huge risk/reward gameplay. Great team game. Solo play is risky but exciting, you will feel like a navy seal creeping around on your own. First and third person perspectives, mounted combat with a nice amount of depth, same for melee combat, magic is hard to do and will only pay off with practice, good group capacity limit, macro friendly, built in clan browser etc, naval combat, ship and city building, sieges, alliances, racial emnity. Need I go on?

It sounds like a great game mate where might i dabble in such fine arts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Reasons?

Player versus Player ofcourse. I dunno about the rest of ye but as far as I'm concerned, the monster bashing and outsmarting of A.I. is for single player games on the xbox.

Pitch one person against another person in some way or another and give them tools of destruction.
    Having said that, ofcourse I dont mind the type of PvE that encourages PvP and ultimately effects PvP (see Champions in Ultima Online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Reasons?

The atmosphere in Age of Conan was amazing. I've never seen such amazing world design,art style,music etc..... in any game except for Mass Effect but that's not an MMO. Age of Conan is the only MMO I've played that didn't feel like a chore except for the early days of WoW but that was only because it was my first MMO. The PvP in Age of Conan was pretty good too and I think it could turn into something else.

Darkfall,while it has great ideals,is basically a pile of poo in my opinion. I know I'll be called a 'carebear' because of this but I actually want a full loot game that is amazing but darkfall doesn't even feel like a game. It feels like a demo for an operating system or something. I mean the graphics aren't 'bad' but they're dodgey,as is almost everything else in the game(sounds,missing mobs,lack of features etc...). Darkfall will be fun for a while as there isn't anything like it on the market at the moment but the second a proper sandbox game comes out I'm jumping ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

neocron

because being a bastard was fashionable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

UO before they split worlds.

Everquest has the best memories though.

I got goosebumps when I first went over the hill into the Desert of Ro and the music kicked in. I was in awe of the size of it. Now its just meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Ultima Online and Anarchy Online

Mainly for both because they have deep character creation with lots of skills which takes away from the traditional you 'have to be mage or warrior or shoot everything' mentality.

Played both back in the old days where there were many players, took long breaks and came back to them. Obviously they have changed, not as much people on and when you go to the banks in UO its just full of people selling houses and items/weps/armour. UO still however has a strong RP community with still a good few guilds with many members, UO ultimely is best for RP and PVP.

Anarchy Online is actually still going strong enough (playing it at the moment, basic AO and Notum Wars expansion is free to play). Still lots of people playing it (although not as much as before) and still RP and guilds. Expansions are still being released. Excellent item crafting/tradeskills and interesting professions.

Iv played a good few MMO's throughout the years but these two stood out to me, im not into pay-to-play current MMO's like WoW etc so i cant specifically comment on them. City of Heroes/Villians is good 'pick up & play' MMO and had a bit of fun for a while with it. I think really as soon as newer MMO's come out, many get attracted to a new released game and dont go back to old games, which is a shame. The older games are mainly played by older players or 'veterans' so its quite daunting for new players to come in play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Runescape

Because your character can achieve a lot from quests and skills
    and also you can interact with other players from across the world. It is a marvellous game.

Advertisement