Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something to try if you can't get DSL

Options
  • 01-03-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

here is something i discovered about a month ago and has helped out 3 customers since

some eircom phone points have a magnet embedded in the front cover, if you have this magnet on any of the phone points in your house you may not be able to get DSL on some or even all of the phone points in the house

the offending phone points are split 70:30 and the smaller part has 2 screws.
    remove these 2 screws and lift off the plate, the magnet will be inside this plate, 5 secs with a screw driver will pop the cover off and then hit the plate off a table to get the magnet out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Interesting - must remember that one!.

Just be aware that the magnet does serve a purpose.

There are two sets of points for making connections in these boxes. One is for the incoming line and the other is to feed extra points. When the cover with the magnet is removed then the feed to the extra points is disconnected (this happens because there is a reed switch in the case behind which is closed when the cover is on but goes open when the cover (magnet) is removed (this is the same principle as contacts used in alarm systems).

So if you are going to remove the magnet then any feeds for extensions are going to have to be joined to the incomin pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

MickyJoe wrote: »
    Interesting - must remember that one!.

Just be aware that the magnet does serve a purpose.

There are two sets of points for making connections in these boxes. One is for the incoming line and the other is to feed extra points. When the cover with the magnet is removed then the feed to the extra points is disconnected (this happens because there is a reed switch in the case behind which is closed when the cover is on but goes open when the cover (magnet) is removed (this is the same principle as contacts used in alarm systems).

So if you are going to remove the magnet then any feeds for extensions are going to have to be joined to the incomin pair.

was wondering what its for alright, well so far eircom technicians didn't use them, sure they probably make sure they are working before they put the cover on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

All extensions are supposed to be wired to the extesion output on the top plate.Reason for this is that the teclo should the wish to test the line from the subs premises,removing the front plate removes all extensions from the line. The telco have no responsibility for equipment installed after the main socket. Furthermore if there are no extensions fitted disconnecting the magnets should make no difference to the characteristics of the line.
    Have to admit I am a few years out of the industry but very little has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Myabe it's your extension wiring thats the problem, and not the presence of the magnet? I helped out a mate whose line was failing a DSL test before - disconnected all his internal extensions and rang eircom to advance the linetest - he passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i know what you mean but i'm 100 percent certain that the magnet was the cause of problems in 4 houses.

it was a case of cover off- sync, cover back on no sync, cover without magnet- sync, i repeated a few times to confirm and demonstrate to the householders, all the extensions still worked infact the bb modem was connected too the extensions in every case.

anyone ever open a dsl filter, i bet its a magnet and a coil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

mukki wrote: »
    anyone ever open a dsl filter, i bet its a magnet and a coil

How much do you want to bet? There is no magnet in a DSL filter.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thread title should be changed.

"something to try if you can't get DSL"

This won't help anyone get DSL that can't.

It might help someone that already has DSL but are having sync problems.

Advertisement