Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview for my own job

Options
  • 01-03-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

My boss has just informed me that I must attend an interview for my own position that i have held for the past four years. I am to compete with another member of staff for the job. The one who does not pass the interview will be made redundant. I have also been told that i must fill in an aplication form and submit a c.v . what i need to know is this legal should i attend the interview or refuse. im not a member of any union. someone please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

surely they cant do that - if what you say is true, then maybe you need to brush up your interview techniques and do as much research as possible....be prepared for the bosses using this as an excuse to give you your marching orders - they are basically saying ..... its you or another person ...one of you must go !!!

Maybe talk to a solicitor and question the legality of this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well it looks like the company has to let someone go - I think we're all used to that idea by now - but what a bizarre and rather malicious way of going about it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dudess wrote: »
    Well it looks like the company has to let someone go - I think we're all used to that idea by now - but what a bizarre and rather malicious way of going about it!
    Not really, to the OP, what will happen in practice is that company has created a new position (with all responsibility +/- 1 basically) of your current role. Because this is a "new" position and the fact your current position is made redundant you have to reapply to it. The "new" position should also have a new name for reference.

This is standard reorganisation/cost cutting strategy which has been done for several years now. I've gone through it myself a few times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yes, it is legal.

a lot of companies use this method, as they feel it is the fairness way to decide who should be let go.

my company are doing it at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The entire IT department - 500 plus staff - in my last company had to re-apply for our jobs. It was around 2002 when IT industry was in the crapper. This was a very heavily unionised company, and the unions recommended that we comply. That indicated to me that it was legal and something that just had to be done.

I don't even know if they have to change the job title to get around any legal issues - I thought that was only an issue if they made someone redundant, and then filled the role with someone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement