Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raidio Rira

• 01-03-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Anybody pick this up in Cork? Pirate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Its a 30 day temp station. Irish speaking, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Irish yeah. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's a multi-city licence by the way. All the rage these days! It appears to be a youth-oriented pop station as gaeilge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what??.......radio real ira :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

fryup wrote: »

Don't be stupid!

I listened to this this morning - it's a good idea, although there's far too much music imo. I know they're pinnning themselves as a chart station, but a bit of talk wouldn't go astray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I think this is the last weekend of Ri-Rá on FM - pity, it was nice to have a modern Irish language station that airs to more than one county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Not much of a station tbh. Their signal in Dublin is woeful, extremely difficult to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What's the idea of a 30-day licence? And where did you find this information, please, Declan A? I've listened to it online but not on a physical radio. The music makes my teeth curl, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

luckat wrote: »
    What's the idea of a 30-day licence? And where did you find this information, please, Declan A? I've listened to it online but not on a physical radio. The music makes my teeth curl, unfortunately.

30 day licences are generally used to trial a format or for a community station to prove they've got the ability to run a service.

RiRa was being run by people who definitely know what they're doing so it may have been to try and prove a need to the BCI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Interesting. Where did you first hear about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

MYOB wrote: »
    30 day licences are generally used to trial a format or for a community station to prove they've got the ability to run a service.

RiRa was being run by people who definitely know what they're doing so it may have been to try and prove a need to the BCI...

Yes it is the only way to prove to the BCI that you can set up and run a radio station pretty much on a shoes string budget.

If they wish they can shortly re-apply for a temp licence which the BCI will be extending from 30 days to 100 days.

Its is also a way for pirate radio operators to go legit with a temp licence if they can show that what they're doing is different to all the rest, thats if they are serious about radio.

The thing is that having got the experience of the BCI application process for a temp licence they can re-apply again and maybe even get a full licence later. It sure beats constantly looking over the shoulder to see if ComRaid is around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the 100 days not solely for community rather than view-to-commercial temporary services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yelloviper

Don't Worry Radio ri ra should be back on air during seachtaine na gaeilge 2010 in marchicon6.gif

They're back for 2011

March 1 - 27 inclusive;

Dublin 92.1 Mhz

Galway 99.1 Mhz

Cork 106.7 Mhz

Waterford City 106.6 Mhz

Limerick 105.5 Mhz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Haven't heard it yet but it can't be as awfully bad as Spirit FM. Came it across it on Monday and just wonder how much bland christian rock can you possibly play on one station in a day? And who the hell listens to it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

There will be a free CD in this Saturdays Irish Daily Star from Raidió Rí Rá with this years best Irish language Music.
    It will include Songs in Irish from the Following Bands:

The Coronas,
    The Rubberbandits, (their new Single Róisin, as Gaeilge)
    Republic of Loose,
    Delorentos,
    Heathers,
    Ham Sandwich,
    The Flaws,
    Fox Avenue,
    The Riptide Movement,
    Miracle Bell,
    The Spikes,
    Mo Hat Mo Gheansaí

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Big Tone wrote: »
    They're back for 2011

March 1 - 27 inclusive;

Dublin 92.1 Mhz

Galway 99.1 Mhz

Cork 106.7 Mhz

Waterford City 106.6 Mhz

Limerick 105.5 Mhz

unfortunately, RIRA wont be on in Waterford or Limerick, but is currently testing in the other 3. live broadcasts start saturday morning.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    unfortunately, RIRA wont be on in Waterford or Limerick, but is currently testing in the other 3. live broadcasts start saturday morning.

I got that info from the BAI website.

Why wont they be on in Limerick and Waterford, transmission costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Big Tone wrote: »
    I got that info from the BAI website.

Why wont they be on in Limerick and Waterford, transmission costs?

pretty much, tough goin this year as ya'd expect, but there's a great crew that i'm sure will put together a great few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It's also on DAB in the South-East.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nia87

Anyone able to listen to it online? I was able to until I had to download an update for Flip4Mac and now the player just disappears every time I open it. Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

nia87 wrote: »
    Anyone able to listen to it online? I was able to until I had to download an update for Flip4Mac and now the player just disappears every time I open it. Any ideas??

You're trying to listen to the windows media stream, sometimes doesn't work 100% on macs. Use the AAC stream linked to on the website.
    This is the address (unfortunately they don't have it linked to in a .pls file which would mean a media player such as iTunes or VLC opened automatically) - icyx://81.171.50.135:9044/

Use VLC to play it with that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

fryup wrote: »

That's what I thought when I saw the title of this thread. Maybe the Real IRA couldn't get anywhere as a paramilitary group so they decided to go into pirate radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Antenna

Thomas828 wrote: »
    That's what I thought when I saw the title of this thread. Maybe the Real IRA couldn't get anywhere as a paramilitary group so they decided to go into pirate radio.

The first year this temporary station was available in Cork (when the OP posted) on 106.7 the RDS station name display was "RIRA" on many radios (was actually "RiRa" but many RDS radios cannot display letters as lowercase)

It was changed to "Ri-Ra" (or "RI-RA" if the radio cannot display lower case) when it was on the next year

Advertisement