Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re: Aldi Starter Greenhouse

Options
  • 01-03-2009 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on this. I'd love to do a little bit of growing but I'm limited in space and also renting so obviously building a greenhouse is not an option.
    What do people think of the following?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8428.htm

Would it be ok for starting and what would be easy things to start with?
    TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They are OK as a stop-gap, but cold frames are a lot more effective. You can also start off young plants on a sunny window cill - particularly if you use a white board behind the plants so they get light from both sides, but the light provided through windows is less than you think, so aim to move the plants outside as soon as possible.

An unheated propagator acts like a mini-greenhouse & is perfect for germinating seeds of tender vegetables.

There are lots of vegetables that are easy to grow - cabbages, garlic, potatoes - but my advice to anyone starting out is to buy a good book & read up on what you would like to grow & how to best do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I have one of these and I grow various herbs and spices in it. it actually blew away in January, so be mindful of that. It does a decent job of protecting plants in winter (apart from when it's flying around the estate) and in the summer, it gave some of my humidity loving plants a boost as well. It tends to get very hot if it is at all warm.

I always get the feeling that it should be letting in more light than it is.

Advertisement