Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Enterprise ever be redeemed?

• 01-03-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Apart from the awful theme tune which has a cheese fun factor anyway will Enterprise ever be looked upon in a more favourable light in the future? I thought it was a decent enough show, I only watched it casually and the xindi thing seemed a bit lame, my knowledge of the debacle is sketchy but wouldn't a race from the future wipe the slate with the federation in the past, also wouldn't the federation from the xindis current time period notice what was going on and stop them travelling back into the past?

But in any case the episodes were decent, they didn't scale the heights of TNG or DS9 and the series lacked the tr00 trek credentials of even Voyager and as a prequel it was a step backwards :pac: but somehow its not bad at all. The crew are more likeable than in Voy, and I kind of get the idea they were going for with a wild west frontier atmosphere in the galaxy. The episode where they visit a western frontier town on another planet, sure it doesn't make any sense but its fun nonetheless.

Will people one day look back in nostalgia at the ridiculous plot lines, the horribly miscast Scott Bakula, the ridiculous cat suits and the cheesy theme tune, much in the same way as people today remember TOS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Most of Voyager's cast I couldn't stand, Enterprise I tolerated a little better.

Scott Bakula was awul but he is Archer. Can you think of anyone else playing the part in retrospect?

If I'm honest, I did enjoy most of the Xindi arch, just a pity it was Archer that got it and not Picard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The whole thing was ****.

I hated every single character. Archer, Trip, T'Pol....GRRR. Here's hoping the new movie will create enough money for a new series, set after Nemesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Enterprise was crap, I'd rather watch voyager and thats saying something.

They shot, they missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

Possibly if they make a worse spin off. Hmmmm, what would that be like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh...jeese...where to start.

Straight up, no. Mainly because it won't be remembered and will go the way of the Andromeda's, Space Island 1's and Space Precinct's (remember that show?...no, thought not)

Why did I not like it? Continuity? No...although it sometimes annoyed me, it was never something that would get in the way of my enjoyment. Scott Bakula? No...I actually enjoyed Quantum Leap (...the shame of it :pac:)

It was one simple thing I hated. It was.....laziness.

Enterprise was lazy, pure and simple. They had cutting edge SFX available, a world of actors, writers and producers available. But, unfortunately, they had one other thing available....plenty of arrogance.

Having succeeded for years on milking the TNG formula until it was dry and well...Voyager...Berman and Co came up with the great idea of doing a prequel (...hello me'sa Jar Jar Binks).

So, a prequel? Does that mean, new actors, new writers and directors and whole new approach?

No....it means recycled Star Trek actors every second show, writers from before, letting unemployable ex-cast direct shows (really...why do they do this? They're not even good at it!)....and the approach? Well...it's pretty much Voyager-lite.

When I saw the first moments of Broken Bow, with the Klingon crashing on Earth...all I could think was...All right! The Klingon War will start here! All with TOS-like settings and attitudes! To hell with the prime directive, all phasers firing stuff.....

No....it took less than 20 minutes to destroy that hope. It then took the end of the episode, where they go all the way to Qo-nos (something they never did in TOS) and make peace, for me to realise that there wasn't going to be a(n interesting) war...or a gun-hoe prime-directive bashing attitude.

It went all TNG after that. An actual holodeck episode...a tonne of Vulcan nonsense and 'Seven of T'pol' to top it all off.

If they had just gotten the thumb out, did a little thinking (just a little bit!), and put in some effort....Enterprise could have been amazingly good...or would have at least finished it's series run. But Berman was lazy, and only near the end did he let any effort in the door, and only when he knew that Paramount were actually serious about pulling the plug.

Enterprise took it's audience for granted, and never delivered the effort that audience deserved. For that, it deserves to be forgotten.

Carlotta wrote: »

Hello kiddies! It's the Neelix and Friends, smile-time asteroid-hour! and here are your hosts....Neelix Talaxian and Naomi Wildeman!!

(Be careful of what you wonder about Carlotta :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Rawr wrote: »
    Hello kiddies! It's the Neelix and Friends, smile-time asteroid-hour! and here are your hosts....Neelix Talaxian and Naomi Wildeman!!

(Be careful of what you wonder about Carlotta :D)

Just add Janeway as the antagonist and you have Hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Carlotta wrote: »

Well, it might be another prequel or even a reboot, perhaps recasting iconic roles with 90210 feebs, and then rockin' it all up with mile-a-minute special effects, while playing fast and loose with established continuity? :eek:
    Hopefully not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

The only thing they can do is pick-up DS9 where it left off, but then, how to you compete with perfection? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

Liked the Original , Loved TNG , never got into DS9 ( I don't watch any soap operas ) , Voyager was ok , Liked Enterprise .

Thinking about it now DS9 and Voyager had put me off ST som much that I never really gave Enterprise a proper go , might try and watch it again from the start on DVD .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I quite liked ENT and plan to buy the series (along with DS9). It was a bit more believable than other Treks, ie not all personalities perfect and ship didn't always end up perfect at end of each ep.

You also got to see the advancement of some tech like transporter/ forcefields / phasers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Well, it might be another prequel or even a reboot, perhaps recasting iconic roles with 90210 feebs, and then rockin' it all up with mile-a-minute special effects, while playing fast and loose with established continuity? :eek:
    Hopefully not :pac:

Did you ever see the Stargate 200 episode, where they have just that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Did you ever see the Stargate 200 episode, where they have just that??

No. Really? I rarely watch Stargate. I was actually being facetious about the upcoming Trek 90210 movie. It's my way of covering up my fanboy style eagerness. :eek:
    I hope JJ Abrams, or whatever his feckin' name is, has seen the Stargate ep you refer to. (and learned something from it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

It was a pisstake. They had alot of differnt "sketches".

They even had the cast as Team America dummies at one stage. Strings got cut going through the stargate and he flopped to the ground on the other side :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Mena wrote: »
    The only thing they can do is pick-up DS9 where it left off, but then, how to you compete with perfection? :(

Obviously, from reading the many posts in this forum, I'm going to offend a lot of people by going into this tirade but I've just finished watching an DS9 episode called tears of the prophet and I feel it needs to be said. It is one of those DS9 episodes that were especially common in the second half of the series and has no resemblance to anything you'd expect from Star Trek. It's as if the writers decided after Way of the Warrior that a big f*ck off battle was a sufficient substitute for plot, suspense and intrigue. And since when did religious mysticism replace science as fact in the star trek world?

Just the other day I was surfing the channels when I flicked onto a DS9 scene with Kira and Jake on the promenade with what looked like care bear light-beams shining out of their bellybuttons at each other in some sort of light-beam version of an arm wrestle and decided it was best to continue flicking.

Don't get me wrong, I really like DS9, more so in retrospect, but it's also the series that produced more cow manure than all the other series combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

DS9 had Gareck

And it had fantastic episodes - some of the best trek, if i where to pick all my fav eps from all trek DS9 would out number the others (because it was better than TNG & VOY and ofcoarse TOS only had 3 seasons :( )

EDIT:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Precinct

lol your right i dont remember it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Slice wrote: »
    Obviously, from reading the many posts in this forum, I'm going to offend a lot of people by going into this tirade but I've just finished watching an DS9 episode called tears of the prophet and I feel it needs to be said. It is one of those DS9 episodes that were especially common in the second half of the series and has no resemblance to anything you'd expect from Star Trek. It's as if the writers decided after Way of the Warrior that a big f*ck off battle was a sufficient substitute for plot, suspense and intrigue. And since when did religious mysticism replace science as fact in the star trek world?

Just the other day I was surfing the channels when I flicked onto a DS9 scene with Kira and Jake on the promenade with what looked like care bear light-beams shining out of their bellybuttons at each other in some sort of light-beam version of an arm wrestle and decided it was best to continue flicking.

Don't get me wrong, I really like DS9, more so in retrospect, but it's also the series that produced more cow manure than all the other series combined.

omg that episode was so naff. Its as if they thought that by blowing wind around the station it would look really epic, this was common enough trick in 80s movies. And to compound the lame factor it was just jake and kira, disregarding the logic of the trek universe, why not have cool alien beings similar to gozer or something like that. It just reeked of cheap. Also it was really silly that they had to evacuate the station, almost cartoon like. Ugh terrible terrible episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I enjoyed Enterprise, but i agree that it made a lot of mistakes. I still shudder at most of Voyager more then i do an Enterprise.

Deep Space 9 was the best thing that ever happened to Star Trek. Best script, best overall arc (only overall arc), best characters, and it had Gul Dukat and Garek, two of the best characters in Sci-fi to date (just behind Saul Tigh).

have to agree with you there Kiith , especially with the saul tigh bit

Garek i mentioned as well - such a great charactor.

From what you said about DS9 and the charactors you like if you have never watched Babylon 5 give it a go i watched it there the beginning of this year - great charactors and great overall story well worth giving it a watch if you havent already.

There where a few episodes of ENT that where amazing i have to say but episodes like that ferrengi one and a few others are just woefull

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, i loved Babylon 5. Still havent seen season 5 yet, but i hear i'm not missing out on too much. I love (cant stress this enough) proper story arcs, and Babylon 5 had to have had the best one ever. Think i'll actually start watching it again, as i own all the boxsets.

you have seen the first movie in the beginning right?

I say htat because i think londo is a great charactor, that was something lacking in enterpise. Great charactors that would stand the test of time and be remembered.

TOS - Everyone + Khan
    TNG - You decide... Orginal borg hive mind? - Lore - i know there some good charactors but i cant think of any off hand
    DS9 - Garek, Tain, + who else?
    VOY - i liked Souter/Suter, was also a fan off others but i seem to be brain dead today
    ENT - Not that many great charactors, i suppose i liked Sharan but i didnt like the suliban guy krasik or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

TOS - Everyone + Khan
    TNG - Picard, Worf, Lefler (come on, Ashley Judd in a Trek uniform???), Barkley, Q, Hugh
    DS9 - Garek, Tain, Dukat, Weyon, Martock, Worf's development, Smiley
    VOY - Souter/Suter, the Doctor pre-7's arrival, Barkley's obsession turned to good use
    ENT - Flox, Shran

TOS: KHAAAAAANNN!!!
    TNG: Commander Tomalak (He was just so evil! It was great!)
    DS9: Weyone (or any Vorta)...for being so twisted and two-faced.
    VOY: The Vidians - (Another bad guy? But there's something about this vampire-ish enemy that always stuck in my mind.
    ENT: Portos...the Dog: For being the best actor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Enterprise was class! probably the best of the treks & certainley the most competant. just goes to show the maturity of fan-boys when they whine over something as meaningless as the opening credits. i think the problems lie that this show wasn't really aimed at trek fans (who, believe it ir not, don't have some god-given right over the show like they think they have). casual viewers saw trek, and changed, terkkies didn't see trek, and changed. sad really. my only complaints about the show are that the first two seasons hadn't enough arc-episodes, and that god-awful finale. i should have known that Riker would find a way to get his useless mug back into Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Enterprise was class! probably the best of the treks & certainley the most competant. just goes to show the maturity of fan-boys when they whine over something as meaningless as the opening credits. i think the problems lie that this show wasn't really aimed at trek fans (who, believe it ir not, don't have some god-given right over the show like they think they have). casual viewers saw trek, and changed, terkkies didn't see trek, and changed. sad really. my only complaints about the show are that the first two seasons hadn't enough arc-episodes, and that god-awful finale. i should have known that Riker would find a way to get his useless mug back into Trek.

+1
    I like ENT, i also quite like the intro credits. Suitable music for the montage and a good montage at that. A classical/ orchestral score wouldn't have gone amiss though.

Edit: I like it so much so I just bought the first 2 seasons, now to find the rest

Advertisement