Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good site for Indian recipes

• 01-03-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Could someone please recommend a good website for getting accurate and authentic indian recipes. From looking around I've found that recipes for identical dishes vary significantly; so much so that the are really a different dish. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I love this show on BBC, authentic and different dishes, made very easily. I have her book too, would highly recommend it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/indianfoodmadeeasy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Indian dishes are fairly rustic & generally handed down from generation to generation & change over time & from region to region. Hence the variations that you may have seen. It is not like the recipes are carved in stone as you may find with some classical French dishes.

I may occasionally come across an Indian recipe that I like the look of but will adapt it to my specific taste. For example, I regularly do a vindaloo that is light on the chillies so as not to burn the gob off my 6 year-old. It is still a vindaloo though.

Cooking up a "perfect jalfrezi" or "perfect bhuna" won't make you a great cook of Indian cuisine. Getting to know your spices, sauces, ingredients, techniques, et al & being able to dish up a bloody good curry will get you a lot of kudos though.

Have a look at Pat Chapman's Curry Club site or search for recipes by Madhur Jaffrey.

Advertisement