Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7 mb upload speed

Options
  • 01-03-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I have just switched to Eircom 7 mb broadband. The download is fine at 6063kbps but upload remains at 318 kbps. I would have expected better than this. Should I complain?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ajmull wrote: »
    I have just switched to Eircom 7 mb broadband. The download is fine at 6063kbps but upload remains at 318 kbps. I would have expected better than this. Should I complain?

Your upload should be 384, you're missing about 20%. Post your line stats for a better idea of what you could/should be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi Spear,

I don't have Eircom, but thinking of switching over for cost reasons, why is the upload speed for a 7MB package so slow?

I currently have the 3MB package from Irish BB and although my download speeds are only at about 1MB at best, my uploads speeds are close to 1/2MB, but I'm considering saving some money and switching to Eircom because IBB is raising their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Anybody else's upload speed been doubled? I'm now getting 672kbps on the eircom 7Mb package.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Just checked and mine are 672 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I think Eircom have a 7meg and a 7.6meg. 7 has 384 upload and 7.6 has 672 upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

423363811.png
    this is the stats for upc 10mb.upload can be as high as 955kb .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Sorry for the delay, I was away. Speed results for this morning. Should I expect a better upload speed or is this good enough for Skype video calls?

424665556.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The upload for eircom's 7M is 384k, so 314k is probably as good as you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tipptipp

i,ve got 7mb and my speed is 5408/384... is this normal ??

http://www.speedtest.net/result/424932776.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

tipptipp wrote: »
    i,ve got 7mb and my speed is 5408/384... is this normal ??

Could be all your line is able for, login to your router on 192.168.1.254 click expert mode-->statistics-->dsl
    paste what you see here

For those questioning 7mbit speeds, Skyuser is correct, there are two 7mbit packages:
    Home Advanced up to 7 Mb: 384 upload
    Home Professional up to 7.6 Mb: 672 upload
    See here

You'll also never get 100% of your full upload or download speed, there's the overheads of the copper and the protocol used to deliver it which will reduce it a bit, so 314kbps is about right for a connection syncing at 384kbps. For the same reason 1Mbit download is never over ~750kbps in reality, 3Mbit never over ~2800kbps and 7.6Mbit never over ~6800kbps.

• Advertisement

this is what i found... is this normal ..thanks for your help

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5408 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 24.50 14.00
    CRC Errors 9 2

• Registered Users Posts: 45,470 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm getting 314 kbps upload speed and I'm with 3 !

5408 is all your line is capable of, You can put your stats in here to see for yourself.

You can try the steps in the FAQ and see if there's any difference to your stats. Post back how You get on.

thanks Pog, if its not broken.... lol:p

No harm in plugging all other devices in the house out and rebooting your modem this way you'll know if its a dodgy filter. Takes 5 mins and You'll know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

I have a Netopia, Cayman 3341 modem connected to a Sweex 54 Mbps wireless router. The PC is connected by an ethernet cable. The modem is 4/5 years old. Am I likely to get an improvement from a new wifi modem?

Advertisement