Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greeting Card Prices

• 01-03-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I was in Waterstones in Jervis the other day and was flicking through the greeting cards. One of the cards had a sterling price of 1.79 on it. But the Euro price for the same card was 3.50. I wasn't remotely surprised but it still really pees me off. I hope things are starting to change I really do.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The book people do good boxes of cards that work out far far cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hashemite

I would guess there is good money in cards, next time your in town just check out how many stand alone card stores there are plus how many other stores sell them. It's only a piece of card after all but your paying in some cases half the price of a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

3 cards for €2-00 in local discount store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

meglome wrote: »
    I was in Waterstones in Jervis the other day and was flicking through the greeting cards. One of the cards had a sterling price of 1.79 on it. But the Euro price for the same card was 3.50. I wasn't remotely surprised but it still really pees me off. I hope things are starting to change I really do.

YAWN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

YAWN!

Whats your problem geezer this poster has made a point if you've nothing constructive to say then say nothing at all:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

YAWN!

I assume that means we should all be quiet and pay whatever our masters say we should? just like good little boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

dh0661 wrote: »
    3 cards for €2-00 in local discount store

Wasn't even looking for cards just browsing as I passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Anyone fool enough to buy their cards in 'dedicated' stores deserves to get ripped off. Believe me, the card is nothing more than wrapping.....for words......money......gift.

I have never heard anyone complain about a cheap ass card. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

axel rose wrote: »
    Anyone fool enough to buy their cards in 'dedicated' stores deserves to get ripped off. Believe me, the card is nothing more than wrapping.....for words......money......gift.

I have never heard anyone complain about a cheap ass card. :cool:

That's probably because whoever you sent one to never spoke to you again. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

HEY YOU CHEEKY GIT!! ;)
    My gifts are generous but my cards are not! OK take this week for example.....I have 1 nephew in aussie that my MIL is visiting.....1 gift for him, now I cant leave out other 2 nephews (gift going to same address)......now Im looking at €60 down......Next question....Should I spend another €5 on a card or €1? The same card will be dumped.

I can see the post in personal issues......'My Boyfriend of 6 months brought me away for a wonderful surprise wkd away in Rome......but he put the tickets in a cheap ass card from the € shop......Should I dump his cheap ass?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Rocky7

Yeah I saw a good box of 30 cards from The Book People for E22.00. Only problem is that there is a selection of cards there, not all of which you would want or need. Still better value though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Sometimes the local stores offer far better value.

Pack of invitations in Birthdays Carlow - sterling marked price £2.99. Euro price €4.49.
    Local gift store on main street, carlow (Special Days) - same cards, same brand, same box €2.95

Price for popular game in Argos €16.99 (UK = £10.99)
    Local store price (Ken Blacks) = €11.95

Same with gifts & toys & clothing, local stores seem to be substantially cheaper than the UK multiples as they seem to have reacted positively to changes in sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I went into a store there yesterday selling only Cards & Gifts and paid €7.50 on my Mothers' Day card ... and that was good for that shop. Considering the reason behind the card, I would've paid more if I saw another card that I felt more inclined toward.

Surely though in these times, shops like these shouldn't be making so much money on occasions and events like they do.

Advertisement