Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis Presley or Roy Orbison

Options
  • 01-03-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

I know this is a matter of opinion, as are most "who's the best?" threads, but I just want to throw it out there and see what the general consensus is.

So who do you think is the greater singer? Elvis or Roy Orbison? I believe Elvis once said he himself thought Roy Orbison was the greatest singer in the world. For me it has to be Elvis.

Elvis Presley or Roy Orbison 13 votes

Elvis
    0% 0 votes
    Roy
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

IMO Roy had a MUCH better range. Plus I like his music better, so my vote's for Roy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Orbison's voice is way better. His ''hits'' are better too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Elvis just shades it by about a million miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Elvis will always be the king but the big O both had that special voice unlike anybody else, so I am choosing Roy ahead of Elvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

50-50. We need another few votes I think. I love them both, but I think Elvis was just superior in every way. He's not called the King for nothing. He went froma rock n roll singer to pretty much an opera singer in the final piece of his career.

I know Orbison also did the rock n roll piece, but his voice was always pretty much the same all along. Elvis' voice improved and matured over the years. There's so many songs that have come out since that I'd loved to have heard Elvis do. Imagine Nessun Dorma for example.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen, but what a voice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Elvis is the king - always found Orbison to be a big bore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I don't dispute Elvis' influence, but The Big O warrants this for (a) the vocal range and (b) the songwriting. Some of the most incredible moments in popular music are on Roy Orbison records. Bought The Soul of Rock 'N' Roll box set last year. Stunning.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I love them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Elvis - by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

bo diddley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

roy gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I like them both but Elvis wins for me

Advertisement