Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeding cap & credit crunch...easy cash cow?

Options
  • 01-03-2009 6:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Consider the harsh economic times and the fact that alot of people (incl me) are taking the p*ss and exceeding the cap. If they charge 3c per MB over your cap then the potential profits for ISP's and charging for gping over the cap would be huge!!

If you go over by 10GB, 3c X 1024MB...Thats what, €307....in short, would it make finincial sense for them to start charging?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There probably not going to as they would just loose customers, I think its a good idea Eircom set a "fair use policy" with "Unlimited" bandwidth limits, it sounds much better and it appears thats what there doing now

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

"unlimited" dosen't mean squat, it's a sales tactic....they always add "fair usage policy" in tiny text in adverts to try con people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

"unlimited" dosen't mean squat, it's a sales tactic....they always add "fair usage policy" in tiny text in adverts to try con people.

Agreed totally, but I was stating that if eircon were to implement a fair use policy, they would get more customers and anyways most net users I'm sure don't go anywhere near the cap most months (unless your a downloader), basicly eircon are doing a type of fair use policy these days, only ever heard one story of a guy having to pay for going over the cap, he owned a internet cafe and used eircons basic broadband!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yoyo wrote: »
    only ever heard one story of a guy having to pay for going over the cap, he owned a internet cafe and used eircons basic broadband!

Exactly why I changed to a business package, I'm always over the limit and figured it'd be a little safer to have business, it costs the same as residential.

Advertisement