Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I choose a wedding photographer?

• 01-03-2009 7:03pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,928 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahoy,

I thought I'd post this here instead of in the weddings forum as I'm looking for advice from the photography experts! :)

I'm going to start looking for wedding photographers in the next few weeks, and was just wondering what things I should be checking when I see them. I know seeing samples of their previous work is an obvious one. What else should I be looking for? Are they supposed to have insurance? I'm just a bit clueless regarding all this. Want to be sure I've ticked all the boxes.

Also is there any things that I should watch out for?

Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

maybe you should check out their prices and what you get for your money.

Check if they have a place to do the wedding pics or if you have a location in mind (usually near the church).

check out if they will be doing the job themselves (instead of sending someone else)

How much of a deposit they require ? when they need/want final payment

how fast will they give you your images ? How much reproductions will cost (additional images outside of agreed package)

How many times you will meet them before the BIG day ?

How long they will stay taking pics ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Check if they have insurance - public liability and professional indemnity.

Check if they have backup plans, in the event that something happens and they can't make it.

Check references, from other couples.

Make sure they have a written contract for the event, which shows exactly what you get, how much you pay, date of the wedding, etc, just so that there are no misunderstandings.

Most importantly, make sure you like them as a person and get along.

Just been through the same process, finding a wedding photographer to cover our wedding next year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paulw wrote: »

Just been through the same process, finding a wedding photographer to cover our wedding next year. :D

Can you not do it yourself ? ;)

thebaz wrote: »
    Can you not do it yourself ? ;)

Well, I was told that my camera gear had to stay in the room until at least after the first dance. LOL.

Besides, I don't do wedding photography. Not enough movement/action for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The above is all good / solid. To use a little reverse engineering have a read of the following two threads which are recent (including additional links in the threads). They probably detail how not to do it but reading between the lines you should see lots of good information as to how to do it, what to ask, and what issues to be aware of;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499754

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055500567

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Besides, I don't do wedding photography. Not enough movement/action for me.

a bit like Ireland v England then ...
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Hugh_C wrote: »
    a bit like Ireland v England then ...
    :p

Ouch!!! hahahahaha

It is really important that you get on with the person that is going to shoot the wedding as they are the one vendor you spend the longest with on your day. If they make you feel at ease then the images will show as you are much more relaxed. Nothing worse than seeing a false smile in images as it will come through really obvious.

Most of the stuff has been already said ie insurance, backup for gear etc. Ask for examples of previous weddings to show the style of photography as there is no point getting someone whose style you don't like.

Good luck in your search as it can sometimes be somewhat daunting. If we can be of any further help, then just holla!! :D:D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,928 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    The above is all good / solid. To use a little reverse engineering have a read of the following two threads which are recent (including additional links in the threads). They probably detail how not to do it but reading between the lines you should see lots of good information as to how to do it, what to ask, and what issues to be aware of;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499754

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055500567

Lol, yes it was these two threads that prompted me to ask here!!

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Just Playing

Toots85 wrote: »
    Lol, yes it was these two threads that prompted me to ask here!!

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful!! :)

Make a list of questions as has been suggested before. Personally any photographer who claims copyright on the photos would be avoided by myself. One, it does not enter into the spirit of the the day and two if they want copyright ala hello magazine they should be paying you :)

Find someone. Review their past work. Happy with their work? Ask for prices and details. Get married, pay them to take and give you the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Make a list of questions as has been suggested before. Personally any photographer who claims copyright on the photos would be avoided by myself. One, it does not enter into the spirit of the the day and two if they want copyright ala hello magazine they should be paying you :)

Find someone. Review their past work. Happy with their work? Ask for prices and details. Get married, pay them to take and give you the photos.

I am sorry for asking what would probably appear as a daft question, why would you avoid anyone that claims the copyright to the images they shot??

(better make it clear that this isnt a rant in light of recent threads, I am just genuinely interested etc etc so if you want to take it offline, I am more than happy to :) )

• Advertisement

I am sorry for asking what would probably appear as a daft question, why would you avoid anyone that claims the copyright to the images they shot??

(better make it clear that this isnt a rant in light of recent threads, I am just genuinely interested etc etc so if you want to take it offline, I am more than happy to :) )

You're grand asking that :)

Simply because I am paying them to do a job for me and my wife to be. Us, Our Day, Our wedding. If they are not happy with that then they can decline the job.

To me it is fairly simple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The copyright question is an interesting one which i've seen two versions of - one which is strange because it contradicts the lawful position. They are;

a) Photographer dictates the terms - The photographer retains copyright. They then proceed to charge per print and continue to maintain the copyright on the image. The law is with them on this.

b) Client dictates the terms - The client specifies that they will only enter into a deal where the copyright is the clients. The legal position is not quite so clear although there are ways in which it can be achieved - Limited licencing / Unlimited licencing and Copyright relinquishment.

As a client you may want to decide which of the two options you want. But beware, not every photographer will entertain option (b) - typically you'd see option (b) in force where the services of an inexperienced photographer is being retained ie. they have enough work and can afford the luxury of not taking on your wedding, or perhaps where the client is paying a premium to achieve some of the solutions to the legal quandry which no matter what way you look at it is in favour of the photographer.

In considering all of the above - make sure you have a contract which is very specific an unambigous as to the usage/rights/etc. of the images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 whitetea

Check out the photographer website. List out you favorite ones and enquire about the prices. Make sure to get exactly what you want... If there are some parts of package that you feel like you don't need - don't pay for them. Get the tailored package if you need. Make sure that you let your photographer know what ideas for the shoots you have yourself and that you can communicate well. Meet up with a photographer before making any decision and view the sample albums and see if they suits your personnal taste and if the album is a good quality.

Good look with your reasearch!

Personally any photographer who claims copyright on the photos would be avoided by myself. One, it does not enter into the spirit of the the day and two if they want copyright ala hello magazine they should be paying you :)

Interesting issue. Even if they own the copyright, they still can't see the images to Hello or any such magazine. Those would require a model release. :)

But, the copyright issue is a good one to discuss.

In Australia, for example, for a wedding, the copyright of all images would actually remain with the couple, and not the photographer.

In Europe, and the US, the copyright would remain with the photographer.

That is, unless a specific contract states who owns the copyright. Now, normally, for the couple to own the copyright, they would have to pay a large fee to the photographer.

A normal alternative is that the photographer grants the couple a license, or even unlimited print license for the photos.

Interesting issue. Even if they own the copyright, they still can't see the images to Hello or any such magazine. Those would require a model release. :)

But, the copyright issue is a good one to discuss.

In Australia, for example, for a wedding, the copyright of all images would actually remain with the couple, and not the photographer.

In Europe, and the US, the copyright would remain with the photographer.

That is, unless a specific contract states who owns the copyright. Now, normally, for the couple to own the copyright, they would have to pay a large fee to the photographer.

A normal alternative is that the photographer grants the couple a license, or even unlimited print license for the photos.

I pay my money and I ask for what I get.

I don't deep thought it more than that.
    :)

Advertisement