Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Courier/messenger Bags

• 01-03-2009 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

Cycle into town from Rathmines everyday, and my backpack has just died on me. I'm looking to replace it with a nice, strong messenger bag that can fit laptop, notepad, library books and jacket. Water proof a bonus. Not too fussed about looks. Can't really afford anything too expensive either, ~€60 or so max. Anyone got any idea on good brands and where I can check them out?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I use a Chrome Citizen bag. They're great - waterproof, roomy and really well designed (surprisingly easy on the back, for instance). Trouble is, mine cost about 100 brick, and they seem to cost more these days.

Maybe try a UK shop online for a better deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Timbuk2 bags are cheaper, I own one and I really like it.
    Knog also has a range of affordable messenger bags ( wiggle and probikekit sells them )
    I'd love to buy me a chrome though, they're pricey bit they can survive anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Manhatten Portage bags are also good, see here for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Those Chrome Citiizen bags look the business, but also a little big.:confused:
    3247-13.jpg

What are they like when only half full/empty? Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin where I could have a look at one? Bit pricey too, but I spose once I have the bag I could become a bike courier to pay for it:cool:.

I love it when an idea comes together...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

I was with a guy who had a kremlin the other day, now that is big, but good big for me.
    When they empty out they just wrap around you as if you wrapped a jacket across your back.
    I have a timbuk2 which I got off egay for about 55-60 as far as I remember, I got the large size which is quite big but not huge as far as messenger bags go.
    It has a corduroy lined padded laptop section which would hold quite a large laptop.
    For sizing on mine I once fitted 20 cans in it all my tools and waterproof trousers too, I then cycled from outside Cabra to Santry, very comfy considering, not sore at all either.
    For sizing in person the best way is to come to before an alleycat or a similar event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

t0mm wrote: »
    T
    but I spose once I have the bag I could become a bike courier to pay for it:cool:.

I love it when an idea comes together...;)

If you become a bike courier you will soon realise you cant pay for anything.

I've always used timbuk2 bags for work, there excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are these Chrome and Timbuk2 bags waterproof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    Are these Chrome and Timbuk2 bags waterproof?
    My Timbuk2 got wet once ... a water bottle inside the bag opened, everything inside was wet, never leaked outside, so I guess they're waterproof. :pac:

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    If you become a bike courier you will soon realise you cant pay for anything.

I've always used timbuk2 bags for work, there excellent.

I'd be earning more than I am as an unemployed student! Is there a demand for bike couriers around, or is it only for the select fixie riding elite?

And according to CRC the Chrome bags are all water proof, and according to ebay Timbuk2 cost as much as the Chrome ones, the cheap ones aren't as big/comforable looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

Yes they are completely waterproof, i have been soaked to the skin through my waterproofs and not a drop inside my bag, I have turned into the abominable fixed gear rider, once again not a drop in my bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskydisco

The best ones on the market in terms of durability and coolness are in my opinion Freitag and CC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The Chrome Citizen looks bigger than it feels, if you know what I mean. The double-strap system - one main strap (leading over one shoulder to the waist on the opposite side) plus a securing strap under your arm - means it stays in place quite well, almost hugging your back. When it's empty, or nearly so, you hardly notice it at all.
    Those Chrome Citiizen bags look the business, but also a little big.

What are they like when only half full/empty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It's outa your budget, but I'm a massive, massive fan of Bagaboo bags -they really are a lifetime purchase, fully customisable to your needs/wants and totally waterproof -the perfect bag for every occasion... I'm rarely without mine. Full or empty it fits great, and it holds a ****load of stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've been looking at the Chrome bags as well, very nice, just need to come up with some excess cash.

/edit: The Citizen is €117 on CRC with free delivery. Anyone know if it's available anywhere else for much of a discount to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Have a Chrome which serves very well on the commute with full change of clothes and towel etc.

One thing I would say against it is the seatbelt-style buckle on the strap is stupid-heavy even though it does look very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

I bought a chrome citizen a couple of years back and it has been a great bag for the daily commute. It has been through a couple of crashes and all sorts of weather and is still in perfect condition. Easily fits the days clothes with plenty of room over.

The current price on CRC seems a little steep but you are unlikely to need another bag for a very, very long time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

i've got a North face basecamp messenger, think i paid 70 euro for it in the great out doors but i was in a while ago and there down a good bit, fully fully waterproof and tough as a vintage steel frame. it also has a cross strap to stop the whole bag rotating under your armpit as you ride, prob loose hipster points somewhere but it kicks ass gets used everyday, and can hold an A3 sketch pad 125 sheets of A3 paper in a bubble wrap envelope a laptop, water bottle, box of cold pasta, paint brushes, pencil case and the wallet, phone, keys bundleTNRDBK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'd be earning more than I am as an unemployed student! Is there a demand for bike couriers around, or is it only for the select fixie riding elite?

Nope, it aint for a fixie elite, theres still lots of us who dont ride fixies. I have in the past but stopped when i got squashed between two buses and my lovely Surly went under the bus. Unfortunatly theres very very little work outthere at the moment. Lots of people have been let go, and peole with experience are looking for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I would take a Chrome bag over Timbuk2 definitely - my Timbuk2 bag fell apart after a while (well, a couple of years of courier work) and they're definitely not as robust as some of the other manufacturers like Chrome or ReLoad. I have a Pac bag now - barely any signs of wear and tear after 6 or 7 years but they are very expensive and pretty heavy even when empty.

If you're not actually going to be working as a courier, you might want to consider a two-strap bag (basically a backpack) - it spreads the load over both shoulders which is a major advantage if you're carrying a lot of gear.

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    Nope, it aint for a fixie elite, theres still lots of us who dont ride fixies. I have in the past but stopped when i got squashed between two buses and my lovely Surly went under the bus. Unfortunatly theres very very little work outthere at the moment. Lots of people have been let go, and peole with experience are looking for work.

Sorry that's what I mean, ie only those who have been doing it for a while and are experienced are getting jobs.
    rottenhat wrote:
    f you're not actually going to be working as a courier, you might want to consider a two-strap bag (basically a backpack) - it spreads the load over both shoulders which is a major advantage if you're carrying a lot of gear.

I have been using a backpack, but I find it very bulky. Also it's died on me after only using it since September, large rip in the top corner. It would only have laptop, notepad and four library books max, any thing else would be clothes or if I stopped at the shops on the way home. I'm quite broad so I wouldn't be worried about a bit of weight on one shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

rottenhat wrote: »
    If you're not actually going to be working as a courier, you might want to consider a two-strap bag (basically a backpack) - it spreads the load over both shoulders which is a major advantage if you're carrying a lot of gear.
    This is a good point, the main advantage of a courier bag is that you can swivel it around and load/unload it without having to take the bag off. If you don't need this functionality a backpack might be better (personally I find anything single-shoulder supported very uncomfortable if there is any weight in it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I have been using a backpack, but I find it very bulky. Also it's died on me after only using it since September, large rip in the top corner.

I was thinking of a two-strap messenger bag - Chrome make them, definitely, and so do Ortlieb (probably the last word in waterproof). They would certainly be up to the rigours of commuting. Not that I'm trying to put you off a single-strap bag but after a while carrying a lot of weight on one shoulder, you can wind up walking like the lead actor in a bad production of Richard III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I have a chrome bag, the metropolis (V big) half the time i only have a laptop in it and some note pads, wouldnt notice its there if it wasnt for the SWEET buckle on the front. very well built bag i know a few people with them and they say the same. it's the cockroach of the bag world (indestructible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Manhatten Portage bags are also good, see here for details
    I went in to find this shop today... it's closed down since 2004 :(

OP: If you're a broke student the Specialized briefcase is v. comfortable/roomy. Only water resistant though (I've a waterproof laptop sleeve and try to avoid cycling in downpours so I'm ok.). I think I paid 30 quid for it in cycleways. In my experience, unless you need quick access, a dual strap bag is *much* better with big loads..

I do much the same commute as OP from Palmerston Pk. to TCD and it seems grand so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 crown of storms

i use the chrome kremlin- it's pretty big but i needed a big bag for work etc. i'd totally recommend chrome bags though- waterproof and built like tanks- made out of lorry parts!

Cheers for all the replies guys, in the end I went for that one on ebay, 80 bucks all up including postage, which was cheaper than any of the others I could find. If I find the single strap doesn't suit me I'd say I have no problem moving it on, they seem to be faily popular!:D

Thanks again for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

There's a company called Freitag who make messenger bags from old truck tarps, they do all shapes and sizes and do laptop covers too.

http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/page/frontpage/detail.jsf

All of the bags are completely original to the next, they prices are little extortionate but I covet one none the less, I've got my eye on a few of the Dragnet models. Too bleedin' broke though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Vitamin C wrote: »
    There's a company called Freitag who make messenger bags from old truck tarps, they do all shapes and sizes and do laptop covers too.

Very nice, but the line of products called "Successories" surely weakens the "if you're not living on the edge you're taking too much space" cred of the messenger products.

I had to spend a few minutes at Despair.com to purge myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Lumen wrote: »
    Very nice, but the line of products called "Successories" surely weakens the "if you're not living on the edge you're taking too much space" cred of the messenger products.

I had to spend a few minutes at Despair.com to purge myself.

Yeah they put a dampener on it a little alright, even if they had given that range a different name it would have been better. That despair.com is genius, I can't help be reminded of The Onion by it. This is a little off topic but this video is of particular genius:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

The whole site is genius and well worth a wander 'round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Cheers for all the replies guys, in the end I went for that one on ebay, 80 bucks all up including postage, which was cheaper than any of the others I could find. If I find the single strap doesn't suit me I'd say I have no problem moving it on, they seem to be faily popular!:D

Thanks again for all the replies.
    Bit the bullet too, paying full whack though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cillianowen

I am wondering does anyone know where i can get some second hand vinyl banners used for advertising, as i am looking at making my own messenger bag.
    Any hints would be great
    Thanks
    Cillian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I am wondering does anyone know where i can get some second hand vinyl banners used for advertising, as i am looking at making my own messenger bag.
    Any hints would be great
    Thanks
    Cillian

Nice idea Cillian.

Try The Poster Company. They print on Banner Vinyl and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Post some pics if it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any hints would be great
    Thanks
    Cillian

Can do it with plastic bags and an iron. You use several layers and it comes out like vinyl:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Any hints would be great
    Thanks
    Cillian
    I know a friend of mine was talking about doing this for a while. he even robbed some poster vinyl for it. Will ask how he got on and report back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement