Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing a blocked drain (DIY)

Options
  • 01-03-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

First of all I have done a search for past threads but didn't find anything.

In my bath there is standing water just below the plug hole.
    If I use the power shower in the bath there is excess water after a short while that takes 4-5 minutes to drain away.
    So water does drain away but not immediately and tbh, it just ain't good enough.

Asked the landlord and was told to try bleaches and if that didn't work they'd get a plumber. Landlord is paying either way.

I've tried two kinds of bleach. Bleach is probably the wrong term but it's advertised as drain unblockers and the labelling warns it's corrosive. Useless, I followed the instructions and the standing water is still there.

All help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Probably need to get in under the bath and undo the "trap" and clear the hair and other stuff that gets caught in it. Also have a look outside at where the waste pipe from the bath goes down the grid into your wast water system, if thats the system used in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks for the fast reply

I'm in an apartment block, 3 stories high and I'm in the middle.
    So as regards waste pipe, I don't realy know

I will certainly look up on google how to clear the trap. Not sure how and have no tools but I will check, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try something like this ...

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/wastepipe-blast-unblocker-614-16136

They sell a similar device (with a different name) In most DIY stores like Woodies etc. Works very well for our shower which suffers from the same kind of problem, where all the chemical drain cleaners failed miserably. You may need to repeat it a few times, and run some hot water through the system afterwards to wash all the gunk through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got a small bottle in Woodies called DRAIN UNBLOCKER (The Plumbers Choice). There is a picture of a toilet on the box. Guarantee will clear your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Use a cup of vinegar, cheap own brand is fine, circa 50c a bottle!
    Let it soak for a while - works every time.

If it doesn't work to solve the problem try another cup of vinegar then add bread soda - watch it bubble. If that doesn't work the you'll need a plumber!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Alun wrote: »
    Try something like this ...

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/wastepipe-blast-unblocker-614-16136

They sell a similar device (with a different name) In most DIY stores like Woodies etc. Works very well for our shower which suffers from the same kind of problem, where all the chemical drain cleaners failed miserably. You may need to repeat it a few times, and run some hot water through the system afterwards to wash all the gunk through.

I've a wife and three daughters, all of whom have very long hair so our shower blocks on a regular basis and yours truly (the only one with short hair :rolleyes:) has to clear it. I use a similar device to the one mentioned above, its called a drain bomb and I picked it up in B & Q for a tenner. Clears the blockage immediately.

Advertisement