Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham and cabbage water????

• 01-03-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Boiled the ol Sunday ham fillet, took out and boiled the cabbage in the same water, I've done this a hundred times before but always just chucked the water down the sink after. I've saved the water this time and it's tasty, any ideas what to do with it? I'm thinking of a soup obviously but not sure what kind. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

It will provide a base for pretty much any meat and/or vegetable soup. Just don't add salt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd say it'd form a good basis for a pea soup myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pea soup. Or lentil. Yumm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I love cabbage water on my potatoes. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm with a cold glass of milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Well thanks for the replies. Did the pea soup.
    Onion, garlic oil and butter in pot for a few minutes.
    Hamy cabbagey water in with frozen peas and some thyme from the window box and a parsley ice cube from the freezer.
    Wizzed it up and added a splash of cream.
    It was lovely. Distinctly different to other stocks.
    What a waste of beautiful stock all these years, oh well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 horsenut

Well thanks for the replies. Did the pea soup.
    Onion, garlic oil and butter in pot for a few minutes.
    Hamy cabbagey water in with frozen peas and some thyme from the window box and a parsley ice cube from the freezer.
    Wizzed it up and added a splash of cream.
    It was lovely. Distinctly different to other stocks.
    What a waste of beautiful stock all these years, oh well

thats a great idea. thank you!

just one question - how did you make the parsley ice cube? chop parsley? whole parsley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

horsenut wrote: »
    thats a great idea. thank you!

just one question - how did you make the parsley ice cube? chop parsley? whole parsley?

Well I was growing parsley last summer and when it was plentiful I chopped some up, put it in an ice cube tray, covered with water and froze. So I have fresh parsley during winter. I do this with a few different herbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 horsenut

Well I was growing parsley last summer and when it was plentiful I chopped some up, put it in an ice cube tray, covered with water and froze. So I have fresh parsley during winter. I do this with a few different herbs.
    thanks, will do this at home. great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yeah boil it down and concintrate it more then freaze it in icecube trays next time you cook the ham and your making the white sauce with parcly add a cube of frozen stock :)...

or just as other said use it as a soup base id boil it again tho and cleer the scum that apears... at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Id imagine from personal experience that water would be quite salty.

When I was thought as a chef, we would never use water that pork was cooked in for its sheer high salt quantity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement