Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer courses for University students

• 01-03-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I know there's a thread similar to this but just wanted to ask people's opinions/experiences of intensive summer courses? I'm studying Spanish in my second year of college but can't go away on Erasmus next year for various reasons and am interested in spending some time in spain this summer instead.

Which are the most highly recommended/popular schools? Where do the majority of Irish students go? Which is the best value for money-renting an apartment or oncampus accomodation? What would be the average cost of living including fees for say 8 weeks? Are these courses even a good idea?

My spanish dept. will be speaking to us about these types of courses but they havent said when and if they're an option I'd like to start saving/working on the living situation now...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was going to start a very similar thread, so might as well join in this one. Hope you don't mind OP. I'm trying to find any way to spend the summer in Spain. I've been looking at AuPair jobs but you have to pay to join most of the websites and there doesn't even seem to be that many families on them.
    I'd also be willing to do one of these intensive courses, or if there was anywhere in Spain in which I could rent a house/apt on a beach for the summer that would also be good. I'm sure I could find some local to give me some lessons then once I'm there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hola! I'm in 6th year but our teacher encouraged us to go away anyway. I did a homestay as I was able to, but we were recommended this college Abrilescuela. It's beside Madrid and is supposed to be a nice place to study spanish.

http://www.abrilescuela.com/

Espero que eso os ayude un poco ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

dory wrote: »
    I was going to start a very similar thread, so might as well join in this one. Hope you don't mind OP. I'm trying to find any way to spend the summer in Spain. I've been looking at AuPair jobs but you have to pay to join most of the websites and there doesn't even seem to be that many families on them.
    I'd also be willing to do one of these intensive courses, or if there was anywhere in Spain in which I could rent a house/apt on a beach for the summer that would also be good. I'm sure I could find some local to give me some lessons then once I'm there.

There's loads of schools on the internet but I don't know how they work, as in the age groups and levels of Spanish of students... Agh I'm so confused, and my Spanish dept is currently absorbed in Erasmus applications so it's gonna be a while before they turn to us non-Erasmus students :(

Are you a university student dory?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yes, but I'm doing a one year MA and as part of that I'm allowed to take first year Spanish modules. As I spent 9 months in South America I was allowed join the class for people who got an A or B in Leaving Cert so at this stage my Spanish is pretty alright, but I'm no where near flluent.
    And like you I've also found a lot on the internet but you just never know what to make of them. Seeing as I have a thesis to write I should probably just go to Spanish and learn from being there, not take an intensive course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Philosophress

I suggest that you try to get to Spain for at least a couple of months over the summer. Doing a course is a good way to get yourself settled and to establish yourself in Spain - after that you can decide what you want to do. Some of the best courses are organised by the major unversities - the Complutense in Madrid offers really excellent courses, but all the universities have similiar set ups. This is a link to the Complutense summer courses. http://www.ucm.es/info/cextran/ncursoverano.htm.

Also check out the Instituto Cervantes webpage. They list courses and language schools throughout Spain http://eee.cervantes.es/en/index.asp and tells you if they are accredited or not.
    Alternatively, call into them in Dublin at Lincoln House, Lincoln Place, Dublin 2 (behind TCD)- they are really helpful and should be able to guide you to the best option for you.
    ¡Suerte!

• Advertisement
Advertisement