Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE squeezing in an extra advert during CL coverage!

• 01-03-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else notice that RTE didn't show the players lining up for the UEFA anthem during the Inter v United match. They took an ad break instead. It adds to the atmosphere of the occasion imo and it's a pity RTE favour a few extra thousand from adverts rather than letting us see the teams line up.

A small gripe but what next, no analysis at all and just non-stop ads before the game like in many european countries?

John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

K4t wrote: »
    no analysis at all and just non-stop ads before the game like in many european countries?

we can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I hope for your sake you don't watch American Football ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

dreamers75 wrote: »
    we can dream.
    I was going to make that joke myself but then thought about what the poster below me mentioned :pac:
    mikemac wrote: »
    I hope for your sake you don't watch American Football ;)
    I manage about 5 minutes of the superbowl each year. Complete mind f**k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll be pleased to learn that FIFA/UEFA have abandoned the 20 mins halftime idea, that would effo have been used to squeeze an ad break into the halftime chit chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Topic worthy alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

noodler wrote: »
    Topic worthy alright.
    I was thinking thread of the year tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

RTE must have the longest ad free period's pre and post match of all Irish and British stations. Other than the BBC of course. It's about 15 minutes after the final whistle before they'll even go to the ads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

A small gripe but what next, no analysis at all and just non-stop ads before the game like in many european countries?

or u can just watch ITV for the same effect :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jazzy wrote: »
    or u can just watch ITV for the same effect :pac:

No Jazzy. That shower just switch to the ads before the bloody goal goes in ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Did anyone else notice that RTE didn't show the players lining up for the UEFA anthem during the Inter v United match. They took an ad break instead. It adds to the atmosphere of the occasion imo and it's a pity RTE favour a few extra thousand from adverts rather than letting us see the teams line up.

John.

Yeah I agree, esp for CL matches. The atmosphere for CL is so great, and seeing the teams line up and the music play rly does add to the atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

it's a pity RTE favour a few extra thousand from adverts rather than letting us see the teams line up.
    What are you saying John? Ridiculous comment. RTE have to make money somehow. You'd swear they were subsidised or something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Anyone seen what they do in Italy? Ball goes out for a throw or a corner, they do a five-second "stinger". When I watched a match over there, it just cut to Beckham holding a Gillette razor for 3-5 seconds, then back to the action.

If you're involved in the game and excited, it just catches you unaware and you feel dirty. :pac:

RTE have a great time of it though. Just another example of a company using the "small country, so we have to do these things to make a profit" line. I mean, they get the license, and they get the advertising? It's a rip-off really. But let's not start on that!

Advertisement