Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to VNC

Options
  • 01-03-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The missus is heading over to her Mum's in the UK for a few days.

She wants me to be able to remotely access her Mum's PC from here in order to help her clean up some of the speed issues she's having with it currently.

I'd normally use VNC in a situation like this, but I don't want to spend hours on the phone with her trying to open ports on her firewall.

Can anyone recommend me a remote access program that will work pretty much out of the box and without any router config on her side?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

logmein.com is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

johnciall wrote: »
    logmein.com is excellent

+1 for logmein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

if the pc is windows xp pro, you could use the included Remote Desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

definitely logmein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Another vote for log me in, the free version is the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

+5 for logmein

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

logmein is definitely great, but for something more serious and on par with vnc (in fact, slightly faster) I would go for Citrix Online SaaS services, you have a several range of similar products, the GoToMyPC would be the one you're looking at. The support is based in Dublin, btw.

www.gotomypc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

logmein is the best I've used. Great software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

logmein x 7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

+8

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Ammyy is my personal fave
    http://ammyy.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

*bump*

Thanks all - using Logmein now - it's the dog's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the free version of logmein is great, but if you really want to see what they can do, give the IT reach version a trial (think you should get 30 days free) it's the (IT) god's b*llocks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

vibe666 wrote: »
    the free version of logmein is great, but if you really want to see what they can do, give the IT reach version a trial (think you should get 30 days free) it's the (IT) god's b*llocks. :D

What's so good that makes it worth buying over using the free one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

WellyJ wrote: »
    What's so good that makes it worth buying over using the free one?

Yea .. me too , whats the major difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You dont have to install it on the pc you want to connect to. A person on that pc simply visits a website, gets a code and gives it to you. You can see and control a host of things on that persons pc e.g. running processes etc. It is very powerful but I think a little expensive for me but then again I may be a little cheap i.e. free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

axer wrote: »
    You dont have to install it on the pc you want to connect to. A person on that pc simply visits a website, gets a code and gives it to you. You can see and control a host of things on that persons pc e.g. running processes etc. It is very powerful but I think a little expensive for me but then again I may be a little cheap i.e. free.

That doesn't sound at all useful for what I need, but happy days, free is fine by me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

LogMeIn - 10 to the power of a googolplex - fast as hell and nice to use.
    TeamViewer is OK, sluggish and eventually nerve destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dublinpd

rdp, or remote assistance from XP does the job, and it's on the OS already. I used to have VNC in LAN in my previous job... does well and it's easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

dublinpd wrote: »
    rdp, or remote assistance from XP does the job, and it's on the OS already. I used to have VNC in LAN in my previous job... does well and it's easier
    These are good protocols but keep in mind that remote usage will mean you'll need to open up ports on the router you're heading for, and if that machine is on random network then it won't work. LogMeIn is handy in that regard as it negates the need to open ports on a router and you can be on any network with the machine and it will be accessible.

Advertisement