Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vortice extractor fan

• 01-03-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

The Vortice centrifugal fan simply passed away. Got the electrician to check for a new one and these cost 85 Euros. The interesting thing was that when I unscrewed the cover of the extractor fan, a screw had started to corrode. Surely this should not have happened in a system intended to remove moisture.
    The electrician reckons that the flexible ducting is not connected properly and that there probably is a U section where moisture accumulated and when this filled, it went back and damaged the extractor.
    I went up in the attic today and checked the duct pipe.
    There were two very close to one another (behind the water tank). One I cut (it was making a few illogical bends) and connected it to the outlet in place there (ventilation thing in the roof tiles).
    The interesting thing is that the other duct coming out from the ceiling was not connected via a Y joiner but it was going the length of the attic to connect via a Y joint with the duct from the family bathroom. That to me me did not make sense. i left it as it is for now.
    The other thing that did not make sense is why did I have two ducts emerging from the ceiling (ensuite) when there is only one extractor fan there. If it were connected to the ventilation outlet just beside it, it would have meant that the extractor fan would work more effectively rather than having to push water via the 6 or so meters long duct.

I don't know if this makes sense. If not I will take some photos tomorrow and stick them here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

regedit wrote: »
    why did I have two ducts emerging from the ceiling (ensuite) when there is only one extractor fan there.

maybe one of them is connected to the waste pipe of the toilet and is a sewer vent ?

i have a situation where the ducting from the extract fan goes straight up to a roof vent via some flexi ducting and a 4 inch sewer pipe
    the fan had stopped working so i installed a new one and noticed that the flexi ducting had become detached from the pipe
    i reattached the flexi to the sewer pipe but over the past few weeks have noticed drops of water coming from the fan - obviously the water vapour from the shower is condensing in the cold pipe and coming straight back down - what can i do - first thoughts were to run the sewer pipe horizontally across the attic and let it discharge through a vent in the soffit - any ideas ?

Advertisement