Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carling cup final

Options
  • 01-03-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Gutted after that..can't complain about the effort of the players tho,everyone of them put in a great effort and we could have won it.but i think a bit of extra training wouldn't go astray on a few of thehm judging by the way they were dropping off in extra time.anyway if we play like that in the remaining games we will be ok..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Gutted for o'hara especially he must be killing himself did you see him after anderson scored. Lennon was great modric turned in a decent game and jenas never stopped trying great match heartbreaking to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Modric was class today,i feel that if we had Defoe fit we could have won it,pav and Bent tried but it just wasen't happening for them, have to say i felt sorry for O Hara aswell, his heart is in the right place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Well on a positive note...we're not in the Uefa cup next year and so we should be expecting a significant improvement in our league form in the 09/10 season.

Forgot an honourable mention to BAE in the last few matches hes performed much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Well on a positive note...we're not in the Uefa cup next year and so we should be expecting a significant improvement in our league form in the 09/10 season.

so that we can get into the uefa cup by way of the league ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Thought the game was decent. Unimpressed with the new Wembley every time I see it, especially in daytime. Looks like city of M or emirites, no sense of an arena like old stadium or camp nou or parc de princes.
    players
    Gomes 7 solid, little chance with pens
    Corluka 7 steady
    Dawson 8 brave yoeman, immense
    King 8 defies logic, if only he could get fit, could be another Paul McGrath. natural fitness must be amazing, still going after 120 mins legend
    BAE vying for our best player under Redknapp with Dawson and Lennon, never put a foot wrong.
    Lennon 81/2 best player on pitch. cleaned Evra out time and again.
    Zokora 71/2 Slow start, grew into game. few lungbursting runs.
    Jenas 51/2 always 10 yards from ball, never seemed to get into it, with a couple of notable exceptions when he got stuck in. . Dissappointing
    Modric 7 Some beautiful cameos. Class player. Must be kept, as he will grow into something special over the next 5 years.
    Pavluchenko 6 Willing but not dangerous enough. Instinct for taking up position when Lennon was on ball need tuning.
    Bent 6 game but not sharp. Should have played on Thursday in my opinion. An hour wouldhave helped him. Strikers need games. Future bleak with Defoe and keane in fold. he will surely be out in summer. Never really got a fair shake, but never has really convinced.

Subs
    O Hara surprised he took first penalty, thought Modric would have been more likely
    Bentley decent- one great ball for bent up the line. Should not have missed target from 12 yards, but may have seen Foster read him and gone for post. Giggs penalty 18 inched from doing the same.
    Bale did ok, is coming back to a little form. Has to have a future with his build, pace and ability.

Throw in Palacios, Cudicini, Keane, Chimbonda, and the injured Defoe and Woodgate, and this is a squad that should be aiming for upper end of bootom 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Are you f*ckin stupid mate!? Wembley is awesome, spurs were amazing and only the poor penalty selection was our undoing!

Nobody can underate the atmosphere or the unrequited love from the yid army.... You were obviously not in the same stadium as me!?

Ref was a c*nt! And why Luka didn't step up for the first peno I will never know, MARTIN JOLS, OOOOPS, HARRY REDKNAPPS YID ARMY!!!!!

iTS ALL ABOUT SURVIVAL!
    Thought the game was decent. Unimpressed with the new Wembley every time I see it, especially in daytime. Looks like city of M or emirites, no sense of an arena like old stadium or camp nou or parc de princes.
    players
    Gomes 7 solid, little chance with pens
    Corluka 7 steady
    Dawson 8 brave yoeman, immense
    King 8 defies logic, if only he could get fit, could be another Paul McGrath. natural fitness must be amazing, still going after 120 mins legend
    BAE vying for our best player under Redknapp with Dawson and Lennon, never put a foot wrong.
    Lennon 81/2 best player on pitch. cleaned Evra out time and again.
    Zokora 71/2 Slow start, grew into game. few lungbursting runs.
    Jenas 51/2 always 10 yards from ball, never seemed to get into it, with a couple of notable exceptions when he got stuck in. . Dissappointing
    Modric 7 Some beautiful cameos. Class player. Must be kept, as he will grow into something special over the next 5 years.
    Pavluchenko 6 Willing but not dangerous enough. Instinct for taking up position when Lennon was on ball need tuning.
    Bent 6 game but not sharp. Should have played on Thursday in my opinion. An hour wouldhave helped him. Strikers need games. Future bleak with Defoe and keane in fold. he will surely be out in summer. Never really got a fair shake, but never has really convinced.

Subs
    O Hara surprised he took first penalty, thought Modric would have been more likely
    Bentley decent- one great ball for bent up the line. Should not have missed target from 12 yards, but may have seen Foster read him and gone for post. Giggs penalty 18 inched from doing the same.
    Bale did ok, is coming back to a little form. Has to have a future with his build, pace and ability.

Throw in Palacios, Cudicini, Keane, Chimbonda, and the injured Defoe and Woodgate, and this is a squad that should be aiming for upper end of bootom 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm beyond words at how disapointed I am after yesterday. All in all I was happy with the team. to sum up:

Gomes: 7 (Solid, I was Wishing he'd be the hero of the day after the season)
    Corluka: 7(Solid again, not much going forward but did well)
    King/Dawson: 8(King as said a legend, dawson was almost flawless)
    BAE: 7 (Improved greatly under harry)
    Lennon: 9(MOM, If he had a decent cross he'd be one of best players in europe)
    Jenas: 6.5(Good at getting stuck in Little else)
    Zokora: 6.5(Good Runs, Did well, Palacious would have been a star)
    Modric: 7 (Class when he got his chances, was surprised how much he ran toward the end)
    Bent: 5 (Poor, I'm not a fan but he did try to be fair to him)
    Pav: 5.5 (Also Poor, showed some decent touches)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Great Day, bar the result :mad:
    Gutted to be honest.
    Did'nt get to meet any of the lads beforehand as had to head to Watford early doors to meet a pal to collect my ticket. Kept in touch with Mullo during the game, and we both made our flight home at 9 bells no problem following the et and pens.

Lets hope we push on in the league and it does'nt fall apart like 12 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

didn't think that the 4-4-2 worked that well. if were going to play modric were going to have to accommodate him and i think hes wasted on the left. when we changed to one up top modric showed his class. some of the balls he played were quality. lennon was outstanding up the flank. turned evra inside out which is saying something. the defence was solid. best defensive display all season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

great performance but can not get over how biased everything is about the game. its all man u this and man u that. they fielded a weakend side but spurs were without cudicini woodie, palacios, keane, defoe and campbell! thats the basis of a strong team just there! alot of what i have read or seen on tele is about the pen ronaldo should have got and not about the red card o shea could have got! or about how great it was the man u players were celebrating in the suits on the field not how keaneo was on hugging a tearfull o hara. i know it was man u's day but credit where credit is due

on a whole spurs were worth the draw and as heartbroken as it is to loose on pens its a credit to the lads to take the mighty man u to pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

What kills me is that winning that trophy means so much to us and so little to them.

For that alone i hope the Fa cup and Champs league doesnt end up in that lots hand.

Also what was up with that sky fan o meter. We outsund them yet again but
    that showed utd fans being loudest. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yep,they have treated this compitition with contempt for years suddenly now it's a great thing to win.theres no justice in football.,and i'd say that the fan o meter was a big joke.

Well i know a few ppl that couldn't get tickets in the spurs section so they had to go to the utd section so it's possible that we where screaming louder sky just thought some of us where utd fans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

oppiuy wrote: »
    Also what was up with that sky fan o meter. We outsund them yet again but
    that showed utd fans being loudest. Ridiculous

i was unlucky enough to be in th eutd end and i can without doubt say spurs fans were a lot louder than utd throughout the game. i have a video clip on my phone of the teams coming out and all you can hear is come on you spurs n remember i was surrounded by mancs!!

i was proud to be a spurs fan that day. our fans were brilliant n the team fought hard but at least we held our heads high afterwards. losing to the euro champs onn pens is not an embarrasing feat.

Advertisement