Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio BB's Question.

Options
  • 01-03-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Not really a hardware question but I thought here was best to ask.
    So question is Bio's and how long for them to break down, also Bio's and
    lifestock or animals, say if a horse or a cow or a duck or a dog for instance
    came across these in a field and started munching on them, will they do any harm,
    is anybody aware or say animals choking on them? common sense would tell you to
    obviously keep these away from say young children but in the case of animals have there been any tests, or findings?

Also any suggestions on brands of Bio's, some better than others or quicker to break down. Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

All that info (well, most of it) is on the back of the packets.

Most of them break down in anything from a few months to two years, depending on brands. They don't list the ingredients - which I think they should have to - but most of them are made from starch or other cellulose material.

The best recommendation with bios is to buy a reputable brand. G&G are the ones I use now, Excel are also excellent. These quality brands are just as good and just as safe as any of the plastics. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thanks for thay Ozcam, I managed to get my paws on some of those G+G ones...reading the back does help:p thanks to a good mate of mine, am still unsure about the animal thing, have been using them in a corner of a field with permission and insurance I hastily add, for a bit of plinking nothing too serious but this field is going to be reused again by my neighbour, to graze some cattle and a couple of ponies.

This all came up in conversation, he was delighted to hear I was being responsible and all green friendly but we are just a bit concerned, anybody been in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

iceage wrote: »
    This all came up in conversation, he was delighted to hear I was being responsible and all green friendly but we are just a bit concerned, anybody been in this position?

The reputable brands will not to any harm to live stock.
    They will break down in the digestive system & pass freely.
    We have cats that devoured a bag of bio's & they are fine, no visit to the vet or anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Cheers for that Rhino, its info to pass on, we just had a concern and that info speaks volumes. we'd like to think we're doing the best for the planet as well as havin a ball.:) by the way I'll give you a ring on that AK rail, I think that might be a purchase for one of the lads.:)

Advertisement