Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocklayers cost

Options
  • 01-03-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi everyone,got my house up to dpc level in the summer just gone,going back this summer to get all block work to roof level,what are blocklayers charging per block now, buncrana area donegal.thanks:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

I have been priced 80-100 c per block in Kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

based in Cork, getting prices here for 1 euro a block..have gotten a price from a blocklayer in Kerry at the weekend for 63 cent a block!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

We paid 75c a block in Clare just before Christmas. I've heard of lads quoting less than 60c now -

There doesn't seem to be much work around and some brickies seem under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A well known builder is paying their Blockies equivalent of 55c per block. Heard of as low as 60c on site up to max 75 - 80c in Sunny South East. €1 per brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

murphyep wrote: »
    based in Cork, getting prices here for 1 euro a block..

ditto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

ddoc wrote: »
    hi everyone,got my house up to dpc level in the summer just gone,going back this summer to get all block work to roof level,what are blocklayers charging per block now, buncrana area donegal.thanks:cool:

Don't forget to consider reputation of blocklayer as well. The building boom gave work to a lot of bad brickies, these guys are now quoting the cheapest to ensure that they have work. Would rather pay a few pence extra to get a better quality of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

In the west prices run from 70c to 80c heard price just today 55c. ???? you get what you pay for. 70c-80c top quality workmanship 55c i would be fearful

For the few cents quality should be a must you will only do it the once.

Heatherview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

In the west prices run from 70c to 80c heard price just today 55c. ???? you get what you pay for. 70c-80c top quality workmanship 55c i would be fearful

For the few cents quality should be a must you will only do it the once.

Heatherview

Too right Heatherview,In cork, just gave the job to to the quote of €1 a block, I know him and the work is quality, had a quote of 80c but heard a few dodgy stories on that fellow, so I will pay that little bit extra for the peace of mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 krustytheclown

Just wondering what is the average rate for blocklayers in these post celtic tiger times?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

would be interesting to hear the difference now alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Here in Galway I've heard of some competent blocklaying sub-contractors charging 60-65cent+vat per block, I'm unsure if lintels are included in this rate.

A skilled blocklayer would lay ~300 blocks in a reasonably fine day(excessively wet and/or windy weather would lower this figure), however a labourer would also have to have his wages paid out of that 60/65 cent p/b; although a single labourer could attend 3 blocklayers.

In 2007 I paid €1.35+vat per block(lintel included) to get a house built.
    *Some contractors would also charge through opes, i.e. Whatever blocks were absent in an opening were also charged for due to the inconvenience of building the opening.
    It was the highest rate I ever heard around this area, however I had to pay it; the blocklaying contractor was the brother of a main building contractor that I used to do Carpentry sub contracting for, and so I had to give him the job.

Ah the memories, it was a gold plated, fur-lined **** circle of a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Getting prices at the minute for my build. Currently quotes for blocklayers range from 85cent per block, to 58 cent per block. I got quotes from 6 blocklayers and the average seemed to be around the 65-70cent mark.

K3v wrote: »
    Getting prices at the minute for my build. Currently quotes for blocklayers range from 85cent per block, to 58 cent per block. I got quotes from 6 blocklayers and the average seemed to be around the 65-70cent mark.

You are getting prices to build the house; as opposed to how many blocks come through the gate right?

You are getting prices to build the house; as opposed to how many blocks come through the gate right?

I gave my plans to the blocklayers and asked them to price the blockwork for me. I asked them to breakdown the price between the house, garage & entrance. I have my Bill of Quantities so I know how many blocks are needed before I start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I gave my plans to the blocklayers and asked them to price the blockwork for me. I asked them to breakdown the price between the house, garage & entrance. I have my Bill of Quantities so I know how many blocks are needed before I start.

Yeah, beter off getting a fixed priced. Forget about this price per block job. Lads are pricing now based on a days work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 johnjack1067

What do you want slave labour?

tred wrote: »
    Yeah, beter off getting a fixed priced. Forget about this price per block job. Lads are pricing now based on a days work.
    I wouldn't advise paying brickies per time. Regardless of there work ethic, the weather in this country alone could extend the job for months!

Really I was just highlight that pricing the Blocking laying portion of the job involves more than just laying blocks(i.e chimney capings, lintels, cills), the OP is aware of this though
    Care to elaborate your thought; as opposed to banging out sarcastic soundbites?

tred wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise paying brickies per time. Regardless of there work ethic, the weather in this country alone could extend the job for months!

Really I was just highlight that pricing the Blocking laying portion of the job involves more than just laying blocks(i.e chimney capings, lintels, cills), the OP is aware of this though

**** you hitler

**** you hitler

Errr, blaming Adolf Hitler for the falling prices of blocklaying?
    OK you have my attention, continue.

Granted The Third Reich did have a very efficiency apprenticeship programme training huge amounts of brickies, but that was 70 years ago!

I'm intrigue, obviously you're passionate and well read on the history european labour cost, with your specialty rooted in 1930's Germany.

Please tell me more, I have get the feeling that I have so much to learn from you Sensei.

• Advertisement

**** you hitler

Errr, blaming Adolf Hitler for the falling prices of blocklaying?
    OK you have my attention, continue.

Granted The Third Reich did have a very efficiency apprenticeship programme training huge amounts of brickies, but that was 70 years ago!

I'm intrigue, obviously you're passionate and well read on the history european labour cost, with your specialty rooted in 1930's Germany.

Please tell me more, I have get the feeling that I have so much to learn from you Sensei.

Ask your moma

johnjack1067 banned for 1 month. We can leave it at that now and get back on topic.

Edit: Permanently banned now for abuse by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

Hi guys, in relation to this, anyone noticing an increase in material costs in the past number of months. A builder has told me that the price of concrete has increased by €8 a ton and I just wanted to verify it.... thanks

mmc2010 wrote: »
    Hi guys, in relation to this, anyone noticing an increase in material costs in the past number of months. A builder has told me that the price of concrete has increased by €8 a ton and I just wanted to verify it.... thanks

I got quoted €70m3 over a month back for 30N concrete. I dont know what it is today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yup, Roadstone put that through there a month ago, and I assume most of the others will follow suit, if it already isnt happening. Its €8 per m3 too though, not per tonne.

bruschi wrote: »
    yup, Roadstone put that through there a month ago, and I assume most of the others will follow suit, if it already isnt happening. Its €8 per m3 too though, not per tonne.

Thanks for clarifying bruschi, how much do you think this would increase the build cost of a 242 sqm house by? I know you can't really say without knowing the exact dimensions but are we talking '000s? Thanks again

Thanks for clarifying bruschi, how much do you think this would increase the build cost of a 242 sqm house by? I know you can't really say without knowing the exact dimensions but are we talking '000s? Thanks again
    All depends on the footprint of the house and if its the concrete or the cement that has risen in price.

An average 2 storey house for example (eg. 11m x 8m) would need around 30 m3 for the foundations. Sub floor would be about 13 m3. If its cement prices then screeds for ground floor and first floor would add up to maybe 20 m3.

So you are really talking about a few hundred.

muffler wrote: »
    All depends on the footprint of the house and if its the concrete or the cement that has risen in price.

An average 2 storey house for example (eg. 11m x 8m) would need around 30 m3 for the foundations. Sub floor would be about 13 m3. If its cement prices then screeds for ground floor and first floor would add up to maybe 20 m3.

So you are really talking about a few hundred.

Thanks for that Muffler, I got the impression from the builder that it would have a fairly significant impact - so I would imagine the block prices would have increased also? I can't be sure though....I'm waiting for him to re-quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

you missunderstood. Blocklayers are not pricing any more per block. there breaking the job into stages as you said. block laying, lintels , cills, filling and capping chimney. I was advised by an experience block layer who wasnt able to price my house at the time, to price the complete job. Lads that are going out there, how much a block..getting caught on extras...any again. you want to pay a fair price....have 3 or 4 quotes from reputable blocklayers. same spec for all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement