Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP needed,,Wireless Internet..

Options
  • 01-03-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

OK it seems like there's a million problems you can have with wireless internet but anyway, I'm trying to make the switch from Broadband connection via Ethernet cable to wireless but it just won't work..I'm with Eircom and I have a Neotopia router.
    I'm not exactly technically minded but I'm not totally useless either, I tried getting my wireless internet to work but it won't..For a while I could only get limited or no connectivity to appear, but when i manually adjusted the settings it said wireless internet was connected..but when i type in a web adress Cannot find Server is all that comes up..confusing :S..I think I may have entered some of the information in wrong, is there a way of finding outthe info that has to be entered in order to establish a connection or is there something else up??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved From Laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Hawkeye4real

Goose, when you right click on the icon in the bottom right that looks like a tv with waves from it, then choose the option "view available wireless networks", does it show yours as connected? And with a strong signal bar? If so, do you have a firewall like zonealarm? If so, temporarily disable zonealarm (right click on the icon in bottom right and choose disable). On your router, at least the power, dsl and internet lights should be on. If not, u can reset from the back by holding a pin or similar into the small hole. Try those first, I know its frustrating but its usually something simple. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

Goose, when you right click on the icon in the bottom right that looks like a tv with waves from it, then choose the option "view available wireless networks", does it show yours as connected? And with a strong signal bar? If so, do you have a firewall like zonealarm? If so, temporarily disable zonealarm (right click on the icon in bottom right and choose disable). On your router, at least the power, dsl and internet lights should be on. If not, u can reset from the back by holding a pin or similar into the small hole. Try those first, I know its frustrating but its usually something simple. best of luck.

Clicked on the tv icon and it says mine is connected, there's a strong signal bar and I don't have a firewall?!..All the lights are on on the router..I think it's a problem with the info I've put in but I don't know what??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

When you say that you manually adjusted the settings could you tell us exactly what you did?

Has your laptop ever connected to a wireless router before?

Advertisement