Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800gtx ULTRA

Options
  • 01-03-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine in my gaming clan from the uk offered me his brand new(unopened) 8800gtx ultra for 90 pound inc postage! im a bit stuck...is it worth it..considering the card started being produced back in 2007?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Still a good card worth €100-€130.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What's your current card?
    8800GTXs are still a fantastic card considering the price you can get them for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

im actually playing on a laptop at the mo!....just about have the money for a new build now..not sure if i should snap up the ultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd leave it if You've not got a pc to put it in as Ati are about to drop the prices of the HD48** series to compete with nVidia's new GTS 250. This was announced in the USA today, here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'd leave it if You've not got a pc to put it in as Ati are about to drop the prices of the HD48** series to compete with nVidia's new GTS 250. This was announced in the USA today, here
    That's a very nice price drop. Gotta love competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nvidia's new GTS 250..lol

it's simply a rebadged 8800GTS for christ's sake.
    Nvida are rebadging all their own cards to try and sell them. A blatant con.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/02/18/nvidia-geforce-gts-250-in-march/1

The GTS250 is a simply a 9800GTX.
    My advise..get the ultra. well worth it over the 9800gtx especially if you're gaming at high res.
    You could negotiate a price cut due to the revised prices.

Yeah, its a con but it works for them.

I'd advise against the Ultra, get the HD4870 after the pricedrop as it has gddr5 and is alot faster than the Ultra. I have one myself, monster of a card, makes me cry to see the price their dropping to

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah, its a con but it works for them.

I'd advise against the Ultra, get the HD4870 after the pricedrop as it has gddr5 and is alot faster than the Ultra. I have one myself, monster of a card, makes me cry to see the price their dropping to
    How do you think I feel? I just bought one a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

8800GTX will bulldoze through all the current games, providing the rest of your system is good. I have an 8800GT 512MB (yeah just one) and I don't get any slowdown with the likes of TF2, Left 4 Dead, UT3 all at max quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

8800 Ultra is better than any version of an Ati 4850, its also better than all those fancy 9800gtx+++.Only single cards better are the more expensive gtx 260/280 etc and Ati 4870.

90 posted is a brillant deal.I had the 4850 for a while,its a solid card but it can get a little breathless when pushed, Gtx's/Ultra's on the other hand just keep pulling.They are arguably the best highend cards ever imo.

• Advertisement

Not if he's not got a pc to put it in

Not if he's not got a pc to put it in
    Exactly. He'd be best to wait until he has a pc he can use it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It is a good deal but not spectacular. That's 100 euro posted, and it would be out of warranty. You could get a 4850 brand new for about 140 delivered - and it'd be about the same speed, plus warranty, less power, and so on.

Sounds cooler though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    a friend of mine in my gaming clan from the uk offered me his brand new(unopened) 8800gtx ultra for 90 pound inc postage! im a bit stuck...is it worth it..considering the card started being produced back in 2007?
    An 8800GTX will fetch E100 on adverts at the moment. Maybe another 20 for the ultra. If he can send you the receipt (so you can use the warranty), then it's not bad at all. The only reason I would consider a 48xx instead is if you would consider adding a second card down the line - better not to be tied to nvidia motherboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

It is a good deal but not spectacular. That's 100 euro posted, and it would be out of warranty. You could get a 4850 brand new for about 140 delivered - and it'd be about the same speed, plus warranty, less power, and so on.

Sounds cooler though. :cool:

4850 have a good rep, but they aint that great imo.They just dont have the grunt of the gtx's/ultra's.Fine cards, but when the action heats up and the screen is awash with wholesomeness they run out of gas.The ultra's are still beasts today and give a much more solid gaming experience across every resolution.

Advertisement