Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cd only package for wedding-query

• 01-03-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I was at a wedding fair and was enquiring about a CD only package. The photographer told me that everytime a jpg file is opened it loses some quality. Is this really true or was he just trying to push me into getting an album package?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Er.... That's a lie.

Jpeg's lose quality through resaving and compression, but just opening it won't be a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sweet_fi

Thanks a million.

Thought it sounded a bit dodgy alright. Was told that it wasn't something that most people knew and other photographers never tell people.

I assume then that printing a copy wouldn't do any damage either.

Trying to pick a wedding photographer and videographer at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sweet_fi wrote: »
    Thanks a million.

Thought it sounded a bit dodgy alright. Was told that it wasn't something that most people knew and other photographers never tell people.

I assume then that printing a copy wouldn't do any damage either.

Trying to pick a wedding photographer and videographer at the moment.

print as often as you like once you've licenced to do so in your contract. It will do NO damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

That's one cheeky guy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sasar wrote: »
    That's one cheeky guy...

Or just really, really dumb guy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

In all fairness now, do NOT choose that photographer,telling stupid blunt lies like that...

He should be ashamed of himself tricking you & tryin to lure people to do business with him this way!!!! :eek:

Opening a file does not at all reduce the quality of the photo.

Thanks a million for your responses. Did think that it was a bit dodgy seeing as so many photographers I've been talking to offer high res CDs with their packages for you to print yourself.

I was kinda surprised at this photographer as I've known of him for years. He's the local photographer and has done all our school photo's over the years. Basically he is the guy that all the schools in the area get in to do them.

Just wanted to post here in case it was a trade secret that I didn't know about. Thanks again for all your responses.

The search continues ..... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 whitetea

It is very vague and misleading. If you have jpg saved into a CD it will keep the quality :)

jpg format is a form of compression, so the fact that the picture was saved in jpg means that it already lost some quality. why the photographer use jpg at all then? to be sure that you'll be able to open it on your computer and prit in anywere. if you print picture yourself from a CD, it have a worse quality then the one printed by a photographer from for exaple a bigger TIFF file.

if you care a lot about the quality of your pictures and want them to last long, the sensible thing to do would be to have them printed by your photographer. check first though if your photographer prints them in a good quality. you can ask him for exaple, how long they are going to last. we print our photographs, so they will last over 200 years.

the reason why photographer may want to push you to get an album is that a good album is the best way to present and protect your prints. there are many good albums on the market, not always expensive. Album is a good thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It is 100% bull.

After today's wedding fairs I am considering an album but my problem is that like everyone else these day I'm on a tight budget.

Was considering getting a CD only package and printing out my own album on spectra's web-site.

I might try look for packages that include an album and the High res CD but only if it can fit within my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

in fairness to the photographer it may be his belief that when the image is opened it looses quality ........ ie. its re-saved every time its opened !!
    (maybe the Photographer only tweaks an image when he opens it - hence his belief of loosing quality every time)

while the photographer obviously didn't make it clear to the OP what he meant and maybe he was trying to push a more expensive package - probably more profitable for him.

Either way I would suggest that you stay away from the photographer that gave you this advice - there's plenty of wedding photographers out there to choose from and many are willing to negotiate on a package that suits you.

The most important thing when choosing a wedding photographer is ......... knowing what you want !!!

sweet_fi ....... I'm sure you might be able to find someone suitable on Boards - many talented photographers here who are willing to work to your budget.

When it comes to printing your own images I would suggest that you know someone that can tweak images and do some post processing on the images before printing - you'll find that a decent graphic designer/photographer (or anyone with proper photoshop knowledge) will be able to turn a good photograph into a masterpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

PCPhoto wrote: »

When it comes to printing your own images I would suggest that you know someone that can tweak images and do some post processing on the images before printing - you'll find that a decent graphic designer/photographer (or anyone with proper photoshop knowledge) will be able to turn a good photograph into a masterpiece.

Don't forget you still need permission from the photographer to do this, due to copyright restrictions. :rolleyes:

apologies - natural assumption that if someone is getting a CD option from their photographer that the photographer allows the couple to print any of the images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

whitetea, just a little quick question

what pinting system are you using that allows your pictures to last for 200 years

as for th jpg think, as said above its when its saved it does loose information, BUT not necessarily quality, because it depends whats happened to the image before it was resaved

In fairness to the photog, i could see how easy it would be to come across wrong and not explain correctly what he ment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

PCPhoto wrote: »
    apologies - natural assumption that if someone is getting a CD option from their photographer that the photographer allows the couple to print any of the images.

Print yes, modify, probably not.

stcstc wrote: »
    whitetea, just a little quick question

what pinting system are you using that allows your pictures to last for 200 years

My sweet secret! :)

Only kidding... I use Hahnemuehle fiber based Fine Art papers with the Epson Ultrachrome K3 vivid magenta inks, protective spray and Fine Art quality archival albums. Have a look at the website of Wilhelm Imaging Research http://www.wilhelm-research.com/WIR%20Hahnemuhle_2008_10_20%20/Hahnemuhle%20Inkjet%20Papers.html

To get such a long longevity you need to have all the components of the album to be proven the best archival quality. I know it sounds a bit over the top for a wedding photographs, but I believe that if the couple pays to get a professional shots, they deserve highest quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

whitetea wrote: »
    To get such a long longevity you need to have all the components of the album to be proven the best archival quality. I know it sounds a bit over the top for a wedding photographs, but I believe that if the couple pays to get a professional shots, they deserve longevity.

I can just see a couple come back and complain about the quality of the prints after 150 years, saying they didn't last the 200 years you said they would. LOL :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

In fairness, I would doubt those "scientific results", since they haven't been using that technology for more than 200 years. They're just guessing, and no one will be able to prove them wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Paulw wrote: »
    I can just see a couple come back and complain about the quality of the prints after 150 years, saying they didn't last the 200 years you said they would. LOL :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Paul - if you came back after 150 years, I would redo the shoot for free - hows about that then?? :cool: :D

Paulw wrote: »
    In fairness, I would doubt those "scientific results", since they haven't been using that technology for more than 200 years. They're just guessing, and no one will be able to prove them wrong.

Hm.. I was quite skeptical about it as well, but after reading about the whole technique they are using and after months of research about archival, giclee printing technique I'm confident enough to give my albums 200 years warranty or your money back :)

• Advertisement

i am always sceptical of all of those research figures, as the two main ones will quite often contridict each other.

What i tend to do when explaining these figures to people is suggest they divde any quoted figures by 4

I am supprised that you can afford to use the hanemuhle stuff etc for weddings

not so much as for the cost of the papers, which are expensive, but more the cost of time it takes to use

BUT

your right to do it properly, i hear soooo many times people printing albums in much less PH neutral ways, and not realising what there doing

stcstc wrote: »
    not so much as for the cost of the papers, which are expensive, but more the cost of time it takes to use

Hm.. It may sound weird, but i like doing this :) Photography is my hobby after all.

yea but what i ment is that if you cost your time for working up th prints, including spraying them 3 times etc, it becomes very hard to make money of a decent wedding album like that

but if your only doing it as a hobby and therefore not costing fully for your time, it makes sense

Advertisement