Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert how long to study.

Options
  • 01-03-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Can someone help me,I am thinking of trying to study for leaving cert,I left School at 15 and did not sit the exam,I am now 29 and thinking of going back to collage,I am on Jobseekers so will get help towards cost..

Can someone tell me would it take long to get the leaving cert,or would I need to do Junior cert first.And how would I go about going on a course,is there like a leaving cert program I would have to go on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well the course could take you 1 year or 3 years tbh, it depends on how fast you grasp things, how much time you're putting in a day and what sort of mark you'd be aiming for.

Doubt you'd need the Junior Cert as the Leaving Cert is basically a new course but obviously some stuff will arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nigel2smooth

Cheers for your answer,so can anyone tell me is there a particular type of course I would need to go on or is it simply just called a leaving cert course.

And what way does it work,do i have to do a certain amount of subjects and pass them all or what,I am not up to speed on the system as have been living in europe for years.

Are you planning on doing it in your own time or in a school?

If the first option here's some info http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

You have to sit 6 subjects minimum, you have to do Irish, Maths and English (there are ways around they though).

You don't have to pass any of them, it depends what your goal is after sitting the Leaving Cert. Each mark you get in an exam equals a certain amount of points, e.g. if you get 72% in a Higher Level subject that's points.

Anymore questions just ask.

Seems to be alot of info here on the Leaving itself, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate

Forgot to say, if you google "Leaving Cert booklist" you'll get several schools booklists for all subjects so it would give you an idea of what books you need, saying that if you ask here I'm sure people will direct you to what is the best book for what subject.;)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

There are special courses available for people in your situation. Here's one:
    http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=2526&CSH_ID=9&AdvancedKeyword=

• Advertisement
Advertisement