Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much to pay for grinds?

Options
  • 01-03-2009 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

How much do people usually pay for grinds? How much do you think is too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

sd123 wrote: »
    How much do people usually pay for grinds? How much do you think is too much?

Any more than €20 an hour is too much.

I depends how qualified the person is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marzabar

Yikes... I'm paying 50 an hour for one of mine... But it's a pretty irregular subject (Latin) so I guess he can do what he want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

€15 an hour from a qualified guy who's worked for the department. The man is brilliant, he really knows what he's talking about. I do three classes a week with him, and after paying for the first two they go up in €10 instead of 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The answer to this is the same as the answer to any question about how much you should pay for anything: as little as possible to get the product or service you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I had grind it before, he charged complete waste of money seriously. You can't go wrong with grinds from a teacher who knows the sylubus of the subject in question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I'm paying about €25 for an hour a week for mine. I find them seriously helpful though so it's worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

marzabar wrote: »
    Yikes... I'm paying 50 an hour for one of mine... But it's a pretty irregular subject (Latin) so I guess he can do what he want

That's completely crazy! No way should you be paying that much! Surely there has to be *someone* in Cork who can teach Latin for less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

creggy wrote: »
    I had grind it before, he charged complete waste of money seriously.

:eek: Was the grind for English grammar by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marzabar

He's the best, I would say it's worth it nearly... As far as I know there's only four/five people in Cork qualified to teach latin... Latin is dying out unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

professore wrote: »
    :eek: Was the grind for English grammar by any chance?

Jesus Christ, shame on me :(

I think I should delete that post. Anyways, what my brain was attempting to say is that, I paid €50 for grinds before and it was a complete waste of money. You're better off paying big amounts if it's a teacher you're getting grinds from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

grinds are actually the hardest thing to put a price on I think.

Like, I've never had any grinds. Partly because I think it's criminal to pay someone so much money (most grinds are 20euro/hr minimum, alot are over 40), but also because I kinda see it as 'cheating'. That is to say, I'd feel I achieved more if I got the result without getting grinds. It's a stupid thought process but I'm a weird person!

Anyway...the thing about grinds is, you're paying for education. Education is priceless. I'm more of an idealist, and I see education being more than just something to get you a good job. But most people see education - and specifically the LC - as a route to doing a course in college which will in turn lead to a good job. If that's the way you're thinking, then grinds are pretty valuable. If getting a grind in a subject means the difference of a grade in that subject, then that could mean the difference in getting a course place or not, which then means getting a great job or not, then grinds are worth alot. How much? Well, in theory, you COULD justify paying like 200euro an hour. But that would be if there was one grind teacher in the country and he was unreal at his job. But due to the market of grinds-giving, I would say 50euro is the max to pay for a grind. It also obviously depends on your financial situation and the financial situation of your parents. But yeah, I would say anything above 50 euro is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    grinds are actually the hardest thing to put a price on I think.

Like, I've never had any grinds. Partly because I think it's criminal to pay someone so much money (most grinds are 20euro/hr minimum, alot are over 40), but also because I kinda see it as 'cheating'. That is to say, I'd feel I achieved more if I got the result without getting grinds. It's a stupid thought process but I'm a weird person!

Anyway...the thing about grinds is, you're paying for education. Education is priceless. I'm more of an idealist, and I see education being more than just something to get you a good job. But most people see education - and specifically the LC - as a route to doing a course in college which will in turn lead to a good job. If that's the way you're thinking, then grinds are pretty valuable. If getting a grind in a subject means the difference of a grade in that subject, then that could mean the difference in getting a course place or not, which then means getting a great job or not, then grinds are worth alot. How much? Well, in theory, you COULD justify paying like 200euro an hour. But that would be if there was one grind teacher in the country and he was unreal at his job. But due to the market of grinds-giving, I would say 50euro is the max to pay for a grind. It also obviously depends on your financial situation and the financial situation of your parents. But yeah, I would say anything above 50 euro is too much.

Did you really have to bother with that, this is a thread about the cost of grinds, not the morality of it...........

Fad wrote: »
    Did you really have to bother with that, this is a thread about the cost of grinds, not the morality of it...........

No I didn't. I actually realised while writing the post "There's not really any point in writing this post", but meh...

EDIT: actually, to be fair, the whole last paragraph is pretty relelvant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Education is priceless. I'm more of an idealist, and I see education being more than just something to get you a good job.
    1. Education is not priceless
    2. Education is much more than something to get you a good job
    3. The Leaving Cert isn't really "education", it's a stupid allocation mechanism
    4. I charge €30 per hour to give university maths grinds at a level similar to LC Maths

1. Education is not priceless
    2. Education is much more than something to get you a good job
    3. The Leaving Cert isn't really "education", it's a stupid allocation mechanism
    4. I charge €30 per hour to give university maths grinds at a level similar to LC Maths

Well like, would you rather be a millionaire that can't read or write or be a person with a leaving certificate? I personally would rather have a leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Well like, would you rather be a millionaire that can't read or write or be a person with a leaving certificate? I personally would rather have a leaving cert
    Hopefully you're literate before the LC, and that doesn't make education priceless. We'll see if you think education is priceless when you get to make the choice of a well-paid job or scraping by while doing a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I charge €15 an hour. I think it depends on how much preparation etc. you do outside of the hour though. If I was sacrificing hours of my free time working out things for whoever I'm giving the grinds to, maybe I'd charge more. (Probably not since I already feel bad for charging so much.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Thanks all. The reason I created this thread is because I started giving maths grinds, didn't know how much to charge tbh, and decided that €20 p/h was fair. Some people are telling me that it's too much though!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, if you look at the Grinds thread you'll see a lot of people charge 30 euro an hour, etc., so 20 is relatively little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

Depends on who is giving the grind. I pay 35 EURO for a Maths grind for my child but that's in a group of 5 or 6. If the person is fully qualified, experienced and knows what they are doing, giving anything less than E 35 would be an insult. We wouldn't go to any other professional expecting one to one attention for an hour for that kind of money.
    If, however, the person giving the grind is not a teacher but setting themselves up as somebody who can give grinds, then anything from E 20 down is more than enough to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I pay 45 for applied maths per week, but the class is an hour and a half and I can walk there from school, so it saves having to get collected and transported or driving myself and then going into the city etc. I feel it is a bit on the dear (sp?) side, but the teacher is of an extremely high stantard and she has a reputation for results. My brother got an A2 from going to her.
    Aswell applied maths isn't timetabled in my school and I wanted to do it so luckily my parents were obliging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I pay €20 for a group grind and €40 for a one on one.

I'd say anything 50+ is too expensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I paid €30 a week for my OL maths grinds last year. I had a excellent retired teacher. The classes were supposed to be an hour, but god sometimes the man would go on for over two! My head would be melted.
    The best thing was that he did the questions from the papers step by step on PowerPoint. When I was studying at home I could be one step ahead of the presentation and pinpoint where I was going wrong. I went from a D3 in the mocks to a B1. Bargain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Teh Noob

I paid 30 euro for an hour of my son's maths grinds last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I'd say 15-25 euro if you travel to them and 30-40 if they travel to you. Mostly depends on the teacher's qualifications though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement