Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten wanted for a loving home

Options
  • 01-03-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

i know this should be in the pets forum but i thought i might get a bit of feedback here, i am looking for a kitten, would love a longhaired but it dosnt really matter, i dont mind if it is male or female as it will be getting neutered either way. we are i the countryside though im hoping the kitten will be an indoors only cat.

if anyone knows where i could get one locally it would be great. thanks a mill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

City Vets run a programme for stray cats, kittens and all.I'm sure if you gave em a ring they'd sort you out, think they neuter it and give it vaccinations and stuff for free as well....of course that is only if you're not working in a Chinese restaurant and have had a new recession proof idea for sourcing ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭trevm

Yea city vets have some. Its €25 which goes to a charity and its €95 for its injections and neutering. Not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

trevm wrote: »
    Yea city vets have some. Its €25 which goes to a charity and its €95 for its injections and neutering. Not cheap!

This is totally untrue.

We have 9 rescued cats, 3 which we got in city vets.
    If you give them a call they would be delighted to give you a kitten and there is NO CHARGE. Not only that but if you phone the ISPCA they will give you voucher for some of the neutering costs so that only costs 30/35 max.
    Please get a kitten from city vets as you are saving a cats life, they don't keep them for ever. When we got our last kitten there he had already got his jabs from city vets. Best of luck.

Its not totally untrue, i was in there on friday and got a rescue cat, paid 25 euros which i was told goes to charity then was told its 95 euro for all the shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We have 9 rescued cats

Simpsons-CrazyCatLady.jpg

When you look at it, ~€100 isn't all that expensive for a kitten that you know has had all the neccessary jabs. I'd be cautious of any ads in newspapers that offer free kittens as you could very well pay more in the long run due to the resulting vetinary fees.

Of course, if you can get a voucher from the ISPCA, then of course go for it, but I certainly wouldn't complain about having to pay €100 for a healthy kitten given the benefits that come with it.

• Advertisement

Its not totally untrue, i was in there on friday and got a rescue cat, paid 25 euros which i was told goes to charity then was told its 95 euro for all the shots!

You were asked for €25? by cityvets? just to take the kitten.

please confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

you gotta be Kitten me!

ill get my coat.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

if you want a house cat make sure its a female. i have a male and female housecat and the female is just the perfect house cat, clean, affectionate... the male on the other hand... jesus dont get me started :D

yep 25 euro i paid on friday and was told its for charity.Collecting the cat tomorrow when the jabs are done.

Im not complaining about the price at all id glad pay it for a healthy cat, all im saying is that my statement was not untrue!

yep 25 euro i paid on friday and was told its for charity.Collecting the cat tomorrow when the jabs are done.

Im not complaining about the price at all id glad pay it for a healthy cat, all im saying is that my statement was not untrue!

Firstly..... I think its great that you are taking a cat that would otherwise be put down. I wish there was more like you.

I just find it amazing that your are paying for it, its not the money but the fact that I know the staff personally in there and I've never heard of anyone ever paying for a rescued cat from city vets. As an owner of 9 rescued cats and someone that is planning to open a cat sanctuary in the next year I wish there was more like you.I spent 3k fencing off 3/4 of an acre last year as 3 of our cats are disabled and need total security from other animals along with 50euro a week on food so I know all about spending money on cats.

Anyway I better shut up. I wish you and your new friend the very best of luck and I hope you have many happy days together.
    Don't forget to let us know his or her name..!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

note to THEIRISHMOB: if it looks like you may be going to open a sanctuary some time soon then have you considered seeing what might be involved in getting an account with a cash and carry so that your food bills will be a little cheaper. If your sanctuary is going to take on a business format then you could find benefits to registering for VAT and start claiming the tax back on purchaces made in advance of 'going live'. Don't take this as qualified tax advice cos I'm not an accountant, just someone in a music/technology related business who sometimes pops a box of dog food in with his cash and carry purchaces ... as a necesary business expense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

i think the 25 euro is more likely used to pay the vets fee for jabs etc as ya would hardly give a cat injections if it was going to be put down,makes sense not to eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

nope! just checked the pet hospital at the park, and also city vets who have none yet. waterford cat protection have none either, its a good sign really that people are finally realising the importance of neutering both sexes, still makes it harder for me though!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

check the news and star,munster express ad section,ya might come across ads like kittens free to good homes etc

old gregg wrote: »
    note to THEIRISHMOB: if it looks like you may be going to open a sanctuary some time soon then have you considered seeing what might be involved in getting an account with a cash and carry so that your food bills will be a little cheaper. If your sanctuary is going to take on a business format then you could find benefits to registering for VAT and start claiming the tax back on purchaces made in advance of 'going live'. Don't take this as qualified tax advice cos I'm not an accountant, just someone in a music/technology related business who sometimes pops a box of dog food in with his cash and carry purchaces ... as a necesary business expense :p

Cheers for the advice.
    I'm planning to approch the cat food manufacturers about getting involved in a sponsorship/"they support cat charity" kind of way..good for them and us.
    I have big plans for it, like set up a propper charity, do fund raising, have nights, etc. Have a lot of friends that would support it and promote it.
    And to be honest cat's are not the most expensive of animals to keep. + I have access to free fresh fish all year round so I'm lucky.

Once again thanks for the advice.

off topic i know but irishmobb how did you go about fencing off the land? would ya have any pics of the enclosure? i have seen some gardens on the internet but it looks fairly dificult to do it, did you need planning? (im thinking of neighbours objections etc)

and on the topic of 'paying' or not, as far as im concerned it would be well worth any donation you would give, for the return in affection you get from the animal. when i was talking to the lady in city vets she seemed to have a couple of okder cats in her home that she was fortering, somtimes this is done for some of the ispca's etc, so maybe though she worked in city vets the cats that she deals with are under the auspices of WCP or ISCPA.

either way guys im still looking so if anyone knows a pregnant cat........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

anplaya wrote: »
    i think the 25 euro is more likely used to pay the vets fee for jabs etc as ya would hardly give a cat injections if it was going to be put down,makes sense not to eh.

Keep an eye out on shop noticeboards and the vet in Tramore sometimes has notices up on the window also. :)

i have a notice looking for one in my local village, and ive tried the vets in town, but im still searching. (in terms of kitten time its still early, late march is the kitten season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

can you contact me if your still looking for kitten, looking for good home for small black male about 7 mths old afaik has been neutered and if not they will have him fixed before he goes.

(he's free and he is a house cat)

only saw your post after i had pm'd you, sorry solas but 7 months is too old, i was looking for a younger kitten, thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

Hi Everyone, sorry for bringing up an old thread here, but our family cat of 17 years will have to be put down in the morning, he has an inoperable tumor and has gone really downhill since this morning :( , so i will be looking to get a new kitten in the next couple of weeks, so if anyone hears of anything could you please let me know, it would mean alot, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Sorry to hear about your cat eimearos. You must be devasted. I know he is a great age, a good long life but they become like a family member.

Thanks Brianne, yeah am absolutely devastated, you get so attached to them its so hard to let go, at least he wont suffer its the main thing. I have two cats myself with my Fiance and just cant imagine anything happening to them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry that you have to put down your cat :( We had to do the same for our one, he was 17 too. We were heartbroken.

Contact Andrew Quinn, or Isobelle in Waterford Animal Welfare, they are always looking for good homes for kittens http://www.waterfordanimalwelfare.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sorry about your cat. Over the years we've had a few and each when they have died felt like a member of the family passing.If you have no luck getting a kitten let me know via pm. I know a few charities and people who work with rescue centres who have kittens or very young cats looking for homes. They are on facebook and usually post pics of them. Dont know if you mind driving to dublin, wicklow etc. We drove to dublin for our eldest boy from cats aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Hi Eimeros, chin up, you were there for your buddy when it counted. Wish you the best with your new little pal! gswXXX

Hi everyone, it's now that time. I'm looking for a kitten ASAP if anyone knows of anyone that has one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

eimearos wrote: »
    Hi everyone, it's now that time. I'm looking for a kitten ASAP if anyone knows of anyone that has one

A friend of mine's cat had some kittens recently. I can check out if they all have homes if you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

Eimearos, really sorry to hear about ur family cat. I lost my 4 year old last year to kidney failure and was heartbroken for ages!!!

If you're interested, I've just started fostering a kitten for a woman who looks after 'waifs and strays' in Dublin. The kitten I have is about 4 months old, she's a black/brown tortie. Very friendly, a real purr-machine.

God love her she was bought by someone as a present for an elderly gent who'd just lost his long term adult cat. But the guy didn't want her, and after 1 day she was handed back. Needless to say the 'sellers' wouldn't take her back and the person who bought her, couldn't keep her.

If you're interested I can send u pics.

Advertisement