Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 games left 7th or 20th possible

Options
  • 01-03-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Well, the cup is gone, no luck but no shame either. 12 games left now, and we go in a game in hand over 7th placed West Ham , 8 points behind. That is very doable. with no UEFA cup place going to the CC, there will be 3 from the league if the Cup is won by a top 6 team. That's more likely than not- Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Utd are all still in the hat. Therefore, 7th , which is attainable, is good enough for a spot in Europe for a fourth straight year. Unlike others, I feel another year in Europe could only be good for the team. The kids showed on Thursday night that a sprinkling of them would work well with a core of senior players on euro nights. The club revels in them, the revenue doesn't hurt. The extra games would benefit a decent sized (21-3 player) squad. Harry would have the summer to build and trade. and all our players should be eligible for all the competitions next season.
    So that's the reasoning- what are the odds? 7 clubs lie between us and 7th. Not simple. On the other hand, we have played a second draw against Utd, have held Chelsea and Arsenal (twice) and beaten Liverpool. We are comfortable against the best sides in the league, and are capable of beating any of the rest. All gthe squad are eligible for all the games, with the exception of cambpell at old trafford. 7 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats would leave us on 52 points, and that could be enough.
    The best way of staying up is to set a much higher target than 18th. We shouldset a target of beat6ing the result of West Ham while they are seventh, and see if the gap can be closed. It's really only five points with the game in hand.
    If achieved, it would be arguably a more noteworthy way of qualifying for Europe than a shootout win today. Keane to score the winner at Anfield in a game that only matter to us, but playing for 7th not 17th. beat boro at home, win away to Sunderland, and not only would the first two awful games be avenged, but the eyes could look upwards for the rest of the season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Tottenham v Middlesbrough, 20:00 win

Sunderland v Tottenham, 15:00 win
    Aston Villa v Tottenham, 16:00 draw

Tottenham v Chelsea, 15:00 lose

Blackburn v Tottenham, 12:45 win

Tottenham v West Ham, 15:00 win
    Tottenham v Newcastle, 15:00 win Man Utd v Tottenham, 17:30 lose

Tottenham v West Brom, 15:00 win

Everton v Tottenham, 15:00 lose

Tottenham v Man City, 15:00 win

Liverpool v Tottenham, 16:00 draw

I think these are doable results but i'd add another two draws/defeats to that as nothing ever adds up right with spurs:(
    it would be 23 points in 12 games tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Tottenham v Middlesbrough, 20:00 win

Sunderland v Tottenham, 15:00 win
    Aston Villa v Tottenham, 16:00 draw

Tottenham v Chelsea, 15:00 lose

Blackburn v Tottenham, 12:45 win

Tottenham v West Ham, 15:00 win
    Tottenham v Newcastle, 15:00 win Man Utd v Tottenham, 17:30 lose

Tottenham v West Brom, 15:00 win

Everton v Tottenham, 15:00 lose

Tottenham v Man City, 15:00 win

Liverpool v Tottenham, 16:00 draw

I think these are doable results but i'd add another two draws/defeats to that as nothing ever adds up right with spurs:(
    it would be 23 points in 12 games tho

can't see us getting more than 2 points from sunderland, villa and blackburn away.

really i think we can sunderland should be 3 points blackburn should be a draw at least if we play at our best i think we can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

draw away to villa. you are a dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I think the home games are winnable and that should be enough to keep us up.

we'll pick up a few away points and at the moment id say the bigger the team the better as we seem to raise our game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

No more excuses now for Harry between now and season end.

Every game should be classed as a cup final with many of the players playing for there future at THFC. No more players cup tied, ineligible blah blah blah, everybody (bar injuries of course) is available for selection so Im looking for a very positive finish to the campaign, starting with 3 points against Boro, and Robbie's 1st goal since his return.

Half of our away matches are against teams from the top 6 and only three of the teams we have left to play are below us in the league that said we have already beaten westham and city away and drawn with chelsea away and beaten liverpool and blackburn at home and dodgedly lost to wba imho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Half of our away matches are against teams from the top 6 and only three of the teams we have left to play are below us in the league that said we have already beaten westham and city away and drawn with chelsea away and beaten liverpool and blackburn at home and dodgedly lost to wba imho

Does'nt make any difference to me where the other teams are in the league.If we roll over and get stuffed by teams between now and season end, HR has a lot to answer for. Why cant we put in the same effort we put in on Sunday in every league game between now and season end, if we do we will have no problems and will finish mid-table easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

1 down, 11 to go. Since Harry arrived, we have 29 points from 19 games. With no distractions and a full squad bar Defoe and Hutton, this can be improved on. Every game should be looked on a 3 points to be won. Villa and Everton away, why not? Good teams, but if we want to settle into lower mid-table mediocrity through constantly lowering expectations, we're going nowhere. Our squad is as good as any outside top 3, and I am including arsenal in the second tier until Fabregas is back in harness. We have beaten Chelsea at home in 07, and at Wembley last year, had the 4-4 at ther lane, and a 1-1 in the Ramos twilight. Why not beat them? We have a great record at Goodison. If we beat West Ham at home, we are effectively 5 points behind with a game in hand. Turn that game at Sunderland into 3 points and it's there to be achieved.
    Harry is blathering on about 3 wins will see us safe, and we now have 3 away games followed by Chelsea at home, but remember this is the man who said he had no money at Christmas, then spent 50m, all looking well spent so far (although Chimbonda still has fences to mend). What he says publicly can be taken with a grain of salt. I expect he's targeting top 8 as a platform for next season, and so he should. Hutton will be back in a month, Defoe may be back in April, let's kick the siht out of a few teams, and be set up for a proper season next time out.
    Last season's tailspin carried right through the summer, despite the false dawn of an excellent pre-season. A surge now could see us backnear the top of the chasing pack. COme on you Spurs.

1 down, 11 to go. Since Harry arrived, we have 29 points from 19 games. With no distractions and a full squad bar Defoe and Hutton, this can be improved on. Every game should be looked on a 3 points to be won. Villa and Everton away, why not? Good teams, but if we want to settle into lower mid-table mediocrity through constantly lowering expectations, we're going nowhere. Our squad is as good as any outside top 3, and I am including arsenal in the second tier until Fabregas is back in harness. We have beaten Chelsea at home in 07, and at Wembley last year, had the 4-4 at ther lane, and a 1-1 in the Ramos twilight. Why not beat them? We have a great record at Goodison. If we beat West Ham at home, we are effectively 5 points behind with a game in hand. Turn that game at Sunderland into 3 points and it's there to be achieved.
    Harry is blathering on about 3 wins will see us safe, and we now have 3 away games followed by Chelsea at home, but remember this is the man who said he had no money at Christmas, then spent 50m, all looking well spent so far (although Chimbonda still has fences to mend). What he says publicly can be taken with a grain of salt. I expect he's targeting top 8 as a platform for next season, and so he should. Hutton will be back in a month, Defoe may be back in April, let's kick the siht out of a few teams, and be set up for a proper season next time out.
    Last season's tailspin carried right through the summer, despite the false dawn of an excellent pre-season. A surge now could see us backnear the top of the chasing pack. COme on you Spurs.

7th in the form guide of the last 19 games and that includes the rest of them having played a game more I'd like to see us climb up to top half and then kick on next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

This season has been so weird nothing would surprise me.
    Who knows, maybe we'll be in Europe again next season.
    Honestly don't think it's possible, but you never know.

I just hope we can garner a nice 40 points first in the next few matches then who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

I just hope we can garner a nice 40 points first in the next few matches then who knows
    I agree, all I care about is safety, yes it would be nice to finish in the top half, but as winnable as a lot of those games are, they are equally as losable!

We do (or should) have a couple of things in our favour though;

1, Since Jan, we have Robbie Keane and Palacios - huge influence!
    2, We are out of the FA, Carling and Uefa cups
    3, Defoe and Hutton will both be back in a month

So on paper, we should, "should" be in better shape for the last 10 games of the season - but we all know Spurs, and they are well known to not play like they look on paper!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

John W wrote: »
    I agree, all I care about is safety, yes it would be nice to finish in the top half, but as winnable as a lot of those games are, they are equally as losable!

We do (or should) have a couple of things in our favour though;

1, Since Jan, we have Robbie Keane and Palacios - huge influence!
    2, We are out of the FA, Carling and Uefa cups
    3, Defoe and Hutton will both be back in a month

So on paper, we should, "should" be in better shape for the last 10 games of the season - but we all know Spurs, and they are well known to not play like they look on paper!:eek:

Well said,

I couldn't see anything but a win on sat but there you go.

If we can grab a point off Villa i'll be happy enough over the last 5 games.

Villa actually play better away from home then at home so i would reckon a point or more is there for the taking.

EDIT: Checked it out we're actually drawing with liverpool for 3rd in the form guide in our last 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Still on track for a good finish. Have turned around shocking record against Chelsea 2-1 epic at the Lane 2 years ago, Wembley win, 4-4 classic and shock horror, a draw at the Bridge in our nightmare start. Throw in two excellent games in the FA cup 2 years ago, and it's a vast improvement on the previos 20 years. A win on Saturday is important to maintain that. We need to sort out the horrible run against the top 4, and this will lead to good things going forward ****, that last bit sounded like Cowen, sorry, but I think you know what I mean.

Advertisement