Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater-New album 2009

• 01-03-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭

Some drumming from Mike for ye:D

A big huge mix of many songs that each play for roughly 0.01 each.

Many other videos too, all I know is I'm hyped up again for it. Its the first Dream Theater album that I';m actually quite a fan for its release, so keeps me happy. Quite a few tour dates in Europe in June too, which I unfortunately won't be able to attend any, but after that for an arena tour would be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I know what you mean when you say it's good to get the chance to actually be a fan of a band for their new album. I'm also really looking forward to this... wasn't gone on Systematic Chaos although it has some amazing bits. Don't think I'll be checking out those videos cause I want to hear it all at once when I have it in my paws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah, train of thought was the last album with anything decent on it, ill give this new one a listen but im not very hopeful tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Last two albums have been exceedingly dull, I thought. Here's hoping they don't just go through the motions again for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh God, ToT is so damn sweet to me. Endess Sacrifice and In the Name of God...my mouth constantly ends up the same way:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Train of thought was a classic. I dont mind the other two albums after it but they had nothing on earlier efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh God, ToT is so damn sweet to me. Endess Sacrifice and In the Name of God...my mouth constantly ends up the same way:eek:

Yeah solo in 'as i am' is just glorious and 'stream of consciencness' is just.......wow:eek:

Yeah, listened to Stream of Consciousness and In the Name of God in the 25 mins it takes my friend to get off the bus, for it to go to next village, meto get off and walk 12 mins up the road:D Can't get enough of it.

If they hit these standards again...sweeeeeeeet! Also, at Download, they are now playing higher than Billy Talent, who headlined the second stage the last time they both played. More people are paying attention, the cream is risng to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

blackcloudssilverlinings.jpg
    June 23.

Linkage
    Bring it on :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wonderful :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That cover reminds me very much of Awake. So ifthe final result is like Awake, I'll be quite happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I'm torn in two about this, i wasn't impressed with their last couple of outings either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok I have only discovered Dream Theater in the last few months because of Rock Band.

Panic Attack is on it and I think its a class song.

Could someone list other songs of theirs I may like if I like the above track?

You'd probably like As I Am, Endless Sacrifice (both on Train of Thought) or Constant Motion (from Systematic Chaos).

Honor Thy Father....eve if just forthe intro:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Honor Thy Father....eve if just forthe intro:D
    +1 on the Epic into, Whats up with dream theatre almost alwas having terrible artwork, seriously who does there artwork?

Patricide wrote: »
    +1 on the Epic into, Whats up with dream theatre almost alwas having terrible artwork, seriously who does there artwork?

Think the artwork is cool. Think it relates to the song titles. If you click the link that Rainbow Kirby posted under the album cover, it goes to Mikes website forums. The track-listing is there, and I can see where it relates(in some parts) to the artwork.

By the way people, only 6 songs on it, they are gonna be long songs. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I do like that album cover I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I like how the album cover has gone back to Images & Words/ Awake. Not that that measn the music will have, but I hope its a good album

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Hope they play Ireland when touring.

I can also see an element of the Train of Thought artwork in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Although the last 2 albums weren't amazing some songs were incredible, 'Octavarium' especially, that song turned me from a casual fan into a real one. Quite like 'These Walls' off that album too.

As for this album Portnoy says they're going for some 'classic' DT stuff, amongst other songs I think he mentioned Glass Prison and some song off Awake as what you should think of to imagine what this album sounds like :) seeing as Glass Prison is probably my favourite DT song at the moment, that's some good news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

By the way people, only 6 songs on it, they are gonna be long songs. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

That's actually a good part of the reason why I'm worried about this album.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    That's actually a good part of the reason why I'm worried about this album.

If they go in the vein of In the Name of God, I will not complain for one second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

If they're the kinda songs where they're long but you wouldn't notice the time passing (Glass Prison, Endless Sacrifice) I'll be pretty happy but if it's like Repentance or some ****e... see ya later.

I like this one. Have also heard 'A Nightmare To Remeber', which is insane(IMO). Some nice bits in them, and certainly not the worst I've heard from them.

EDIT: How could I forget...Progressive Nation, with support from F'in Opeth, is coming in September/October, maybe November too. That is going to such a great show, really look forward to those ones.

I sincerely hope there's an Irish date announced for PN09, otherwise I'll definitely have to travel. I'm not missing this one.

I'm already tempted to go and see DT in Leeds on June 12...

I sincerely hope there's an Irish date announced for PN09, otherwise I'll definitely have to travel. I'm not missing this one.

I'm already tempted to go and see DT in Leeds on June 12...

It'd be unreal to have an Irish date. Only thing is...where? Surely Vicar Street would be too small? RDS is too s***.

Some of my mates are going to Leeds. Wanted to do Southampton aswell, but sold out. I'm away for summer ones, otherwise I'd be doing one or two of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

got my tickets for leeds:D but i doubt they'll ever play here.. unless DC+SL actually makes a dent on the irish album charts.. really looking forward to the album but i personally hope the harmony vocals with portnoy are dropped, they ruined systematic chaos imo

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Love this band! I think i purely listened to this band and nothing else for about 6 months!

Like all their albums! Scenes from a memory is my favourite!

Looking forward for this new album to come out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭markthedrum1

Have to agree with Brendan, I really loved Train of Thought. Any signs of DT coming to Ireland at all? Would be great to see the awesome Mike Portnoy playing in person.

• Advertisement

Don't think so, I think the UK dates in June are about as close as we're going to get unfortunately.

Advertisement