Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater-New album 2009

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭markthedrum1

It would be deadly if they did just make a detour to here. Why are we always forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

PN 09 tour dates announced. http://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php#pn09europe Unfortunately, none in Ireland. Surprisingly none in U.K. either. Do you think they'll add more dates later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

i think the reason they havent played here since vicar street in 2002 is cause theres no venue suitable for their show, as it says on the chaos in motion dvd a dream theater show is basically an arena show in smaller sized hall, and supposedly they lost a lot of money, the last time they played here so that could be a factor too.. by the way what does everyone think of a right of passage?? sounds like an amazing megadeth song to me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Dumbfr3ddi3

I dont know if they'll play here, There's not the biggest demand for the band as other european countries, and even though they love their fans, I dont think it'll be worth their while playing here. And so the die-hard fans will have travel to see them play, which I guess works for them.

As for Black Clouds and Silver Linings, I'm really looking forward to this!! I didn't mind Systematic Chaos, but It took a me a while to really get into it, and I think they should do something heavier, ToT was savage, and I hope its closer to that album. Had a listen to the first single of BCaSL, A Rite of Passage, and tbh, not my cup of tea, and I'm not in the mood of listening to it repeatedly to actually like it, so I hope Portnoy's songs are a bit heavier! All in all I'm excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Those PN09 dates were announced ages ago. They the first two announcements. There will be more, it says it in the title its coming to Europe/UK 'this fall'. Don't know will they play here. With Opeth supporting, they could get a bigger arena. Unfortunately for this, I see Simmonscourt being used:eek::(

• Advertisement

Have heard 5 of 6 of the new songs. I'm liking it. Wither is my favourite at the moment, its also the shortest. Count of Tuscany is a 19 minute behemoth, I find it all very enjoyable. Only song I havent heard is Best of Times, although my friend says its very Rush-esque, so I'm really looking forward to that. I do prefer it to SC alright. Roll on June 23rd for the hard copy of the cd, and then whenever to see them live(my friends going to Munich for cd release day...damn them:()

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Best of Times is the most upbeat. Real feel good.

Enjoying this album more than Systematic Chaos, less growling in it. The songs don't feel too long either (oddly enough!) Nice bit of Pink Floyd-ish outro on Count of Tuscany.

Best of Times is the most upbeat. Real feel good.

Enjoying this album more than Systematic Chaos, less growling in it. The songs don't feel too long either (oddly enough!) Nice bit of Pink Floyd-ish outro on Count of Tuscany.

Haha, sounds exactly what my mate said. Geared up well for it now I am, look to after Download for them though I'd say.

yeah its an incredible album, its so balanced, really heavy, yet really quiet and melodic... every song is unbelievable, the shattered fortress is a satisfying and brilliant ending to the AA Suite, and the count of tuscony,is right up there with a change of seasons,octavarium,or metropolis pt 1, possibly even better to be honest...... the only negative thing il say is because theres only six songs is harder to gauge if its a better album that images and words or scene from a memory.. only time will tell..

9th October-Manchester
    10th October-London
    11th October-Glasgow

So that means, on the 9th, in Hammersmith, I see Porcupine Tree. The next day I get to see Opeth and Dream Theater. Wow...I'll be progged to death those two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Loving this album, easily the best since Train Of Thought. A nightmare to remember is jaw dropping!! I was surprised how evil the start was, at first i thought id thrown in the wrong cd.

Buying actual hard copy tomorrow:D Already out in Oz, $30, so roughly 15 or so euro, for the 3 disc edition:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

People actually like this album? I've tried listening to it repeatedly but I can only stomach the first and fourth tracks (although, the fourth track is savage cranked). I'd rather listen to Systematic Chaos than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Mushy wrote: »
    9th October-Manchester
    10th October-London
    11th October-Glasgow

So that means, on the 9th, in Hammersmith, I see Porcupine Tree. The next day I get to see Opeth and Dream Theater. Wow...I'll be progged to death those two days.

That's my exact plan too. Haven't been in London so far this year, so a visit to my brother has been in order & this is too good to miss. Whether I actually get to see my brother & his girlfriend is another matter, as I'll be busy going to both gigs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Just ordered my tickets for the Glasgow gig.:D

No reviews here yet?

Well, Nightmare to Remember would be epic opener, always a good, very very heavy tune. Rite of Passage, a good first single, the heaviness of DT, yet also complicated enough to know that DT aren't a normal band to take lightly. Wither is, without doubt, phenomenal. Best ballad I've heard in years. Constantly listening to it.shattered Fortress, good end to the AA Suite by Portnoy, once again very heavy. Best of Times is a great, Rush-esque tune, very personal for Portnoy, but still well written, despite not overly enjoying the ending, as it kind of drags. Count of Tuscany, another long song. But who cares? It is the most pleasurable 20 minutes to listen to in a long time, specially as I feared it. Rudess' first keybpard piece in it is genius, and flows well, actually on constant rotation.

Best news is....it made it into top 10 in America...about time for these guys. Cream is rising by now, well deserved for them. Roll on October 10th.

No reviews here yet?

Well, Nightmare to Remember would be epic opener, always a good, very very heavy tune. Rite of Passage, a good first single, the heaviness of DT, yet also complicated enough to know that DT aren't a normal band to take lightly. Wither is, without doubt, phenomenal. Best ballad I've heard in years. Constantly listening to it.shattered Fortress, good end to the AA Suite by Portnoy, once again very heavy. Best of Times is a great, Rush-esque tune, very personal for Portnoy, but still well written, despite not overly enjoying the ending, as it kind of drags. Count of Tuscany, another long song. But who cares? It is the most pleasurable 20 minutes to listen to in a long time, specially as I feared it. Rudess' first keybpard piece in it is genius, and flows well, actually on constant rotation.

Best news is....it made it into top 10 in America...about time for these guys. Cream is rising by now, well deserved for them. Roll on October 10th.

it only just scraped into the top 100 here, at number 91.. guess theres a reason why they'll never play here again... glad to see them doing well every where else tho, they deserve it..

it only just scraped into the top 100 here, at number 91.. guess theres a reason why they'll never play here again... glad to see them doing well every where else tho, they deserve it..

Haha, I be in Oz now, it got to 16 here. Doubt it did well at home cos they never focus promtion there at all in the first place. A lost cause for the greatness we are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Roll on October 10th.

Yeah can't wait - really must organise flights & tickets soon.

Saw them at Graspop on Friday & they were the band of the weekend for me. Thoroughly enjoyed them, even though i usually don't think they're great at festivals. New songs sounded great too - it's gas nowadays that the whole audience now the words of bands new albums, even though they albums have only just been or haven't even been, released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I'm actually not too thrilled with the album. As much as I'm a fan of DT, I think it's been going fairly downhill since Octavarium, and I'd say Systematic Chaos was a more solid album than this, definitely nowhere near as fantastic as Metropolis, Six Degrees or Train of Thought.

I don't know, it has its moments, but I'm left a little dissapointed.

• Advertisement

I mentioned earlier in thread about Rudess' first piece...I meant this one, in case it confused anyone.

Should see some of his other videos to relating to practising Count of Tuscany. Jaw-dropping stuff. and they playing it live now, its brilliant.

Advertisement