Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting wall

Options
  • 01-03-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Do I require some form of local council permission for removing 4m of internal wall and supporting it with a steel ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Smoggy wrote: »
    Do I require some form of local council permission for removing 4m of internal wall and supporting it with a steel ?

No, unless they own the house.
    However u should get some for of certification that it was done correctly as when u sell it can be an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Smoggy
    4m wall good opening, you will need to talk to a structural engineer for advice. If it's done wrong you might be removing more than the wall??

Use the Experts that is their job
    Heatherview

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

As stated, do the council own the house? It will be in your tenancy agreement that you can't alter any walls especially a supporting wall without their written approval...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

No, it's not a council house. It's owned by myself.

Im currently getting quoted for the wall to be removed. I was just making sure that I didnt need any form of permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In the US you would need a permit, over here, no :)

• Advertisement

I have been quoted 3k for the removal of the wall. Which is way more than I was expecting, so I think it's a none starter. Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I would have said that price is fair enough, you might be able to get cheaper but its not the sort of work you want to cut corners on....

P.

maybe my expectations are unrealistic, either way 3k is something I dont have to have a wall removed.

Advertisement