Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a new wireless modem

Options
  • 01-03-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I which to BT 24mb broadband a view months back but didn't get the wireless package because i had one from my previous company it's a zyXEL P-66OHW-T1 v2.

Now i should be getting at least a fast speed not the full 24 as BT informed me the area i am in won't get the full 24 . The most i have got is 17627/1019 kbps(reading it from the picture in my phone). I just done a speed test and now it's 4687/856 kbps that's a big difference tomorrow it my be different it always changes but never 9 or over. My friend down the road has bt he's like four doors from my house he has a steady 13.

What should i do i here my ZyXEL is old but i don't have a clue.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I heard about issues with earlier Zyxel ADSL modems due to the chipsets on the mainboard. They, apparently, can't handle ADSL 2. Some Zyxel modems on a 12Mbps eircon connection will max out at 7Mbps or there abouts.

Sometimes it is better to go with your ISP equipment due to them not supporting 3rd party modems for phone support...plus you can "give out" if the service is not upto scratch and you ARE using their equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

No I'm using my perlico wireless not the BT non wireless. I need wireless for my playstation and my brothers laptop.

Look what I'm getting today can anyone explain this to me i mean same wireless box yesterday i was 4687kbps now I'm 8623 it went up why don't i have a steady speed.
    421351855.png

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

nani17 wrote: »
    No I'm using my perlico wireless not the BT non wireless. I need wireless for my playstation and my brothers laptop.

Look what I'm getting today can anyone explain this to me i mean same wireless box yesterday i was 4687kbps now I'm 8623 it went up why don't i have a steady speed.
    421351855.png

this is messed up what like a minute later i turn it off and back on now I'm

421362995.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nani17 wrote: »
    this is messed up what like a minute later i turn it off and back on now I'm

421362995.png

What make is the router/modem from Perlico? Have you upgraded the firmware for adsl2+?

You need to be systematic about this (please also give as much information as you can when posting so that people do not have to drag it out of you over several posts)

Can you tell us what speed you are are syncing at when you connect by ethernet cable to your router/modem? Can you tell us your line stats?

Are there many other items in the house connected to telephone sockets and if so have they all got dsl filters on them?

How far away is the pc/laptop away when connecting by wireless?

Advertisement