Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Station Roundabout

• 02-03-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I was a passenger in a car passing by the train station roundabout around 5pm today (sunday), i couldnt believe the chaotic driving that was going on. It reminded me of traffic in india (except indian drivers are more pleasant to each other cause they are used to it). Cars going to/from the train station pick up and drop off zone were blatantly driving recklessly and obstructing traffic with right of way. No sign of any guards and a plenty of cars beeping. I was very surprised there was no car tips. Cause that would have caused an even worse traffic jam.

Maybe this happens all the time a train arrives and this is my first time seeing/experiencing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Normal!

Try pulling out of the station area during the peak hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

mike65 wrote: »
    Normal!

++

I don't see how they got planning permission to build the roundabout/transtation carpark they way they have, its lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Normal!

Yes, unfortunately...

Unfortunately you will never get a gap, so what you have to do is creep out until the oncoming traffic is forced to stop. Hate to drive in such an unorthodox way but otherwise you'd never get out, and nor would the 15 cars waiting behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately...

Unfortunately you will never get a gap, so what you have to do is creep out until the oncoming traffic is forced to stop. Hate to drive in such an unorthodox way but otherwise you'd never get out, and nor would the 15 cars waiting behind you.

all it would take is to have traffic lights on all approaches to the r/a and turn traffic lights to red for 3 minutes to allow all traffic from train station to exit in the one go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Bards wrote: »
    all it would take is to have traffic lights on all approaches to the r/a and turn traffic lights to red for 3 minutes to allow all traffic from train station to exit in the one go
    That's crazy talk, it's maverick talk like that that makes our elected councilors look bad, if it was that easy it would have been done ages ago. :D

It can't be a money issue why they wont do something about it cause the train station roundabout has been there for donkeys years and we were awash with excess money for a long time.

Another observational road hazard black spot is over in Ferrybank at that Shop (just opposite the Bus Depot Garage) right beside the junction. I was nearly crushed by a long haul truck once last year because someone decided to slam on the brakes and pull in at the shop with a big truck behind it. The truck had to make an emergency maneuver and it moved to the right hand side lane where I was. I was driving parallel to the trailer part at the back. Luckily I wasn't further up as I was able to slam on the brakes myself before the trailer swung onto my lane. Just to let you know the lights were Green on approach so traffic was in full motion passing through the junction.

There should be no parking allowed on the side of the road over at that junction. Whoever gave planning permission for that off road car park area at spar has a lot to answer for. I have seen a good few near misses BECAUSE of people wanting to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

That's crazy talk, it's maverick talk like that that makes our elected councilors look bad, if it was that easy it would have been done ages ago. :D
    Bards is a loose cannon and it's the Mayor's ass that's on the line :D

You're right, a N route dual carraigway with shops on it is a decent defintion of madness realy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Why can't the station be moved a few hundred metres to the east onto the site of the North Quays? Plenty of space there and can tie in with any new development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Why can't the station be moved a few hundred metres to the east onto the site of the North Quays? Plenty of space there and can tie in with any new development.

It would seem like an obvious solution to an obvious problem, wouldn't it? Especially since the station is up for renovation, and the North Quays project will eventually go ahead, once all the economic problems are out of the way. Add to that the attraction of a pedestrian bridge from the Clock Tower across to where the new station could be built, and you'd really begin to wonder, are these guys completely bereft of vision?

Then you'd say "well, they are Iarnród Éireann" and you'd understand the attitude that "sure that's where de trayen station has always been, so sure we'll layve it dere!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The pedestrian lights at the Sallypark side do turn red when there is traffic waiting to come out of the station. Of course, there are no such lights on the bridge. Are there any on the Ferrybank side? I don't recall there being. 1 out of 3 isn't good enough.

Of course, some $%@!£@$ idiots ignore the red lights on the Sallypark side anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

+1

I couldnt agree more. The present location is a joke. The station was built in the 1860s, however alot has happened since and its current location is unsuitable for 2009. Put it on the North Quays and you have plenty of room to build a good size station, park and ride facilities and room for expansion, i.e. more platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yup that would seem to be the ideal solution. Of course it would probably cost a fair bit more than the renovation that has been started, and in these times of the big R, no government body is willing to do anything forward thinking.

Also to the person that asked. No there are no traffic lights on the Ferrybank side of the roundabout.

There are pedestrian lights as mentioned which can achive the same effect - if you time it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Will the opening of the second bridge crossing make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

im sure it will. the roundabout at the train station is certainly dangerous, especially at times when the train pulls in and you have traffic trying to exit the station

Advertisement