Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do U2 have another classic album in them?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Just watching the "U2: from the beginning" thing on VH1 and i have to say, for all the antipathy towards them now for their recent recycled overproduced stuff, they had some fairly decent tunes back in the 80's/early 90's.

The 80's stuff was good for what it was- genuinely good rock (With or without you, New year's day, Unforgettable fire, Angel of Harlem, Bad etc).
    But the 90's stuff circa Achtung Baby was so good.
    And in a very different way.

Will they ever be able to dig deep and make another great album like Achtung Baby (or The Joshua Tree even) or are they a spent force?

(Haven't heard the new one tbh but by all accounts i gather it's not a classic.)

Edit: I wish i added a poll now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tech77 wrote: »
    (Haven't heard the new one tbh but by all accounts i gather it's not a classic.)

Lol well if it isn't then someone hasn't told Q magazine.

Paul Rees must have a really sore wrist from the combination of typing the review and pulling the balls of himself over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Being a very strong and loyal U2 fan since 1984, i have to be honest and say no. Since about 93, they have suffered what I call Bon Jovi syndrome, where they can still draw the crowds live and put on an amazing show, but haven't produced a semi decent album in about 15 years.

Pisses me off, but hey, they've had their day in the sun and they're still touring for those who haven't seen em, but it's time to pack in the studio efforts. Because it's gonna take a lot more than the rubbish effort you put out this year to help me "get on my boots" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Judging by the past few albums - NO.
    At this stage they don't need to make an other classic album.
    Whatever tripe they release the world will snap it up, I think the new album is evidence of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well according to the interview with Chris Evans on BBC R2 they have enough material for another album and they mentioned putting it out next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

they said that last time in fairness...

i think their best work is behind them..achtung baby is their last great record..18 years ago..long time between drinks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the last u2 song i liked was far away so close , circa 1993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stephansplatz

I think the new album has the potential to be up there as a classic U2 album. Didn't like it on first couple of listens .. and then bang. That's making me unsure how to place it on the scale of the albums .. it is not as immediate as say Achtung baby .. or hearing the chords of In God's Country for the first time... the catchier songs on NLOTH are too catchy on first listen but after a few listens there are more levels to them. And the filler stuff is actually quite strong this time. Huge improvement on the last two.

Still would like to reserve judgment though .. too early to call. Thought Inrainbows from Radiohead initially was a classic ... but would not listen to it now.

It's definitely not a tripe album .. would argue that they released the weakest song on the album as the single. .. and people have judged it on that.

Advertisement