Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

main virtues of living?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, im posting this in Atheism/Buddhism forum. Hope that is ok. Im not planning on debating or comparing the answers, I am just hoping to get a broader perspective.

I was doing some personal writing, nothing major at all, just writing down what I was thinking in order to understand it better.

I was hoping I could get other peoples answers on the piece I had the most difficulty with, I was trying to state personal virtues for life. In as few words as possible, and only the most important ones whatever they may be

What do you think they should be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

If you find out, let me know.

But I think honesty, really. That has to be the most important. Before love, death, taxes or anything else. The most important virtue is to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A friend once asked me which I would choose if they were the only options; truth or happiness. I have, to this day, not been able to resolve the question in my head. Presumably I'm leaning towards truth given that I'm an atheist but if it were a choice? I'm presented with the possibility of waking up tomorrow either knowing the truth of the world or being a happy person...I can't honestly say I'd neccessarily turn down happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ah but knowing the options are truth or happiness, would you really be happy choosing happiness knowing it's a lie?

Personally I'm far happier "knowing" the truth.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mena wrote: »
    Ah but knowing the options are truth or happiness, would you really be happy choosing happiness knowing it's a lie?

But if happiness for you is the ruth then by choosing happiness you'd receive the truth anyway and vise versa! aaaaaaaaaargh *head explodes*
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Mickeroo wrote: »
    But if happiness for you is the ruth then by choosing happiness you'd receive the truth anyway and vise versa! aaaaaaaaaargh *head explodes*
    :pac:

:eek: That's like "googling" Google... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I have done it. And survived.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm pretty sure i did that in a past life and caused the Big Bang.:P

But seriously though,to keep this on topic, I think a great virtue in life is to just live your life and be happy and not really care why we're here and just accept that we are and be glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Schuhart wrote: »
    If you find out, let me know.

But I think honesty, really. That has to be the most important. Before love, death, taxes or anything else. The most important virtue is to be honest.

Does my bum look big in this? Eh...

Honesty must certainly have it's place in a godless universe, but would it really be the top virtue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Who said it's a lie?

No, you're not, by definition. You just don't understand the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Wouldn't the virtue of absolute truth be too much for any human to bear though. Noble and all as it is, wouldn't absolute truth mean you know about every bit of "evil" and experience every possible brutality/ pain that happens in the universe.
    Would this hyper-reality be too detrimental to an average human emotions/behaviour.
    Could human psychology actually be consistent with ultimate truth?
    I'm thinking "the guy lying on the ground in Radiohead's Just video" truth here.

Would happiness then be a more realistic goal in light of this (even if it was an arguably more modest goal).
    Even if it was a technically partly fictional/delusional happiness (ie devoid of absolute truth).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

1. Curiosity (willful ignorance is possibly the greatest way to waste your life)

2. Resolve (having the conviction to follow things through whether they are intellectual or physical pursuits)

3. Honesty (both intellectual and interpersonal, however dishonesty is a defence mechanism we all need)

4. Sympathy (putting yourself in someone elses position to understand their feelings on a subject)

... well thats how I see it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think empathy might be a better one for #4 ! Good list though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Does my bum look big in this? Eh...

Honesty must certainly have it's place in a godless universe, but would it really be the top virtue?
    I think so, but to an extent these things bring you round in a circle. But, yes, I think it is about trying to see things as they are, and holding to that. It doesn't mean that you tell a young child she's the ugliest girl you've ever seen. Why? Because I think we know life isn't all reducable to one thing that will get you through every situation.

But if she's asking you how she looks, and if that's mostly what she's asking you in that moment, does she want to go out looking like a fright? Are we afraid to be what we are?

That said, I've know I've said myself here that this is the atheist leap of faith - that there actually is some benefit in pursuit of understanding. Take that Carl Sagan quote "For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying" and notice the 'for me'.

There's no particular reason why honesty has to be the highest value. Its simply an assertion.
    tech77 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the virtue of absolute truth be too much for any human to bear though.
    Indeed, but I suppose absolute truth is unobtainable, so its really just a commitment to hold to what we know.
    tech77 wrote: »
    Would happiness then be a more realistic goal in light of this (even if it was an arguably more modest goal).

Even if it was a technically partly fictional/delusional happiness (ie devoid of absolute truth).
    That's a perfectly reasonable goal and, as I understand it, how a Buddhist might describe it "Promoting happiness and its causes" or something like that. But then, again as I understand it, they'd assume that to achieve happiness requires enlightenment, which would seem to bring the thing around to truth again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭smileykey

I think honesty, trust, confidence and motivation are the most important in my eyes.
    I think if you have those virtues everything else will follow. They will help you love and be loved, and figure out who you have and where you want to go and with whom. What else does a person need (besides basic physiological needs and the likes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

Marvel the world around you and within..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

You may be happy to know the truth, but the truth will not make you happy.

Personally I believe that there are no virtues to living that extend beyond personal opinion, but that's probably just the nihilist in me speaking. As a human living in society the most admirable work you can do is to either create ripples that will fundamentally affect the lives of others or to create life that you will fundamentally affect.

If the sum of your existence amounts to merely the accumulation of memories of places seen or conversations heard then your life has been meaningless. Think of all the things you won't be taking with you when you die. Work on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The discovery of truth through rational means
    Technological, cultural and scientific progress with the aim of ascending to post physical/masters of the universe status.
    Treating others as you would like to be treated
    Solidarity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The attainment of experiences, buzzes, highs....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    The attainment of experiences, buzzes, highs....

The attainment of knowledge for me.

And the ol' primal urge to be good to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

SDooM wrote: »
    The attainment of knowledge for me.

And the ol' primal urge to be good to people.

Again i have to ask:
    Doesn't "the attainment of knowledge" necessarily include having knowledge/experiencing the infinity of painful experiences.
    Is this what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zillah wrote: »
    A friend once asked me which I would choose if they were the only options; truth or happiness. I have, to this day, not been able to resolve the question in my head. Presumably I'm leaning towards truth given that I'm an atheist but if it were a choice? I'm presented with the possibility of waking up tomorrow either knowing the truth of the world or being a happy person...I can't honestly say I'd neccessarily turn down happiness.

I'd die a horrible painful death with a smile on my face if I could know the fecking truth! If only to end debates in my head.
    I don't think honesty is the best virtue as people have gone on about, sometimes lying is better, oft not. I'd probably go for kindness or empathy or something, I certainly wouldn't use the crap seven virues. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

Trying to think of one word that sums this up...The ability to adapt to change, to move on and learn from mistakes, being able to forgive self and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dreamlogic wrote: »
    Trying to think of one word that sums this up...The ability to adapt to change, to move on and learn from mistakes, being able to forgive self and others.
    There a single word that means all of that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

Dave! wrote: »
    There a single word that means all of that? :D

lol....well i have a feeling there is but for now I can't think what it is...
    And if there isn't then maybe there should be! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

How about evolve?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hehe Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?? :P

Advertisement