Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking about boat from Malta

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a friend in Malta who wants to sell his boat for a very low price(compair with Ireland), It is a 24' yatch, and it is reged in Spain.

Because it is reged in EU, I don't think I need to pay duty, but do I have to re-reg the boat in Ireland? also do I need to pay for VAT?

I searched on web, most of topics are about import from U.S, is there anyone have done the same thing? I'd like take some experience.

Thank you for everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

it depends on the year and if the VAT has already been paid within the EU. You'd be advised to register it with the Coast Guard and have it surveyed. 24ft is a little small to sail all the way back but is possible with some planning. Trailing it back will probably end up costing more than buying a boat closer to home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is absolutely no registration or licensing issues with boat ownership in Ireland. Anyone can own and operate a boat.

As for VAT
    Second Hand Boats within the EU
    The key rule of buying a second hand boat anywhere in the EU is to ensure that is VAT compliant. There are two main categories in regard to VAT:
    1. Boats in use prior to 1985 and in EU waters on 31.12.1992. Such vessels are normally deemed to be EU VAT paid and a VAT liability will not arise as a result of a transfer of ownership within the EU.
    2. With any other vessel the vendor should be able to provide paperwork dating back to the original sale when new, proving the payment of VAT on the new vessel. Purchasers should be wary if no paperwork is available, particularly if the vessel has been owned by a company at any stage.
    source

Personally, if you are going to be bringing the boat back to Ireland, a boat of that value will cost far more to bring back, by any method, then the comparative price in Ireland once the travel and transport costs are factored in. Do yourself a favour and buy a boat here for a knock down price, cash is king at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 T Shadow

Thanks so much for the above friends.

It is nice to hear that in Ireland, there is no licence and reg needed.

Because the boat is already in Europe, VAT is paid already, he imported it from U.S two years ago, because he is moving to Asia, so the price for a 2004 bayliner is only E3000, I think even plus transportation, it is still worth it, if the VAT I don't need to pay again in Ireland.

BTW, another question, could I just ship the boat to ireland and use it, bcz Ireland doesn't need a reg or licence, what about people geting boat from UK, why they still have to pay for VAT(what I read from internet, maybe I am wrong)

Thanks so much for help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

American boats are a total nightmare in my experience. You will have to prove all the paperwork is in order, 110% or it will not be released by customs.

Also, Americans love petrol engines and this is a big no-no in European markets. One of the biggest problems you will have is finding petrol pumps on the water. Very, very few marinas have petrol and those that do charge a huge price for it so it will end up costing big money to run the boat.

Transport; I was quoted around £1400 to bring a 28 foot yacht from the south coast of England to Dublin, the cost from Malta will make your eyes water.

Finally, selling on a American import (which has been in the Med) to an Irish market will be extremely difficult. There are so many pitfalls it's just not worth buying one. They are seldom the bargain they appear IMHO.

Otherwise, best of luck :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

T Shadow wrote: »
    I have a friend in Malta who wants to sell his boat for a very low price(compair with Ireland), It is a 24' yatch, and it is reged in Spain.

Because it is reged in EU, I don't think I need to pay duty, but do I have to re-reg the boat in Ireland? also do I need to pay for VAT?

I searched on web, most of topics are about import from U.S, is there anyone have done the same thing? I'd like take some experience.

Thank you for everyone.

B J Marine have an office in Malta - they might advice you.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement