Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite 'all-purpose' lens?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've decided to get the Sigma 24-70mm -

p.s. my current favorite lens is the 50 mm , f 1.4 - not a diificult choise as my other 2 (85 and 18 - 200) are rarely used , actually trading in the 18 -200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have cropped sensor body (1.6x) a Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 50mm f/1.8 and canon 70-300mm.

I am happy with all of them but if had to pick just one of these it'd be the Sigma 17-70. The Zoom range & pretty good macro make it a great universal tool. The only drawback is I'd like f/2.8 ( or f2.0 would be even better....) throughout the zoom range...

Foxt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I like my Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (Canon fit), it's sharp and works at f2.8 throughout the zoom range I rarely use my 50mm anymore now I have this lens.

Plus it's fairly cheap second hand (<€300).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

For general everyday pics I tend to use my Nikon 50mm F1.8 and Nikon 18-70mm DX lenses. For my aviation pics hobby, I'm using a Nikon 70-300mm 4 -5.6 VR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Canon 17-85 IS lens (kit lens for the 40D - used on a 450D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,974 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

My favourite is a Tamron MF, an SP 28-80. Canon L quality at a fraction of the price.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angelo Mercone

17/55 f2.8 nikon for me. If I had a full frame probably the 24/70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm down with Nikons 50mm 1.4 out of necessity. I've taken 90% of my images with it the past 6 months while my Nikon AF-S 24-70 has been off getting repaired. That could change in a week when I get the 24-70 back though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shleed

Canon's EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 USM IS lens. I've heard people complain about it before, but mine's quite sharp even wide open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Sigma 18-200, Nikon mount on D300.

... but then, it's either that or a macro lens, so not much choice going on here :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

It's got to be the 24-70 f2.8 L Canon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

The camera came with the 18-55 kit lens, but I bought TAMRON AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 DI II VC LD Aspheric [IF] Macro Zoom Lens and this has been on the camera since I got it. Great all rounder.

Advertisement