Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with NTL Router

Options
  • 02-03-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Having a bit of bother with my stantard NTL (netgear) router. Basically when wired into the router via ethernet cable, i connect straight away to the net with full speed.

However, when i connect my macbook wirelessly, the speed is terrible (slower than good dial-up) and the connection drops. The dell laptop we have connected at fairly good speed but then also has problems dropping the connection. Wiuthout security the performance improves slightly, but not enough to justify no security!

I've installed the latest firmware update, but the router itself doesn't seem great.

Would anyone have any suggestions to solve the above, or should i consider getting a better router to cover the whole house? (Covers about 50% atm)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Guys,

Having a bit of bother with my stantard NTL (netgear) router. Basically when wired into the router via ethernet cable, i connect straight away to the net with full speed.

However, when i connect my macbook wirelessly, the speed is terrible (slower than good dial-up) and the connection drops. The dell laptop we have connected at fairly good speed but then also has problems dropping the connection. Wiuthout security the performance improves slightly, but not enough to justify no security!

I've installed the latest firmware update, but the router itself doesn't seem great.

Would anyone have any suggestions to solve the above, or should i consider getting a better router to cover the whole house? (Covers about 50% atm)

Are there any other wireless networks nearby? Have you tried changing the wireless channel? Are there any other wireless devices in your house? TV senders or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

There are 3 wireless networks around me.

At the minute the channel is on auto, should i put it to a higher channel like 7?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Experiment thats the best way. Netstumbler will tell you what channels the others are on. Easily found through google.

Advertisement