Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Probably a really easy question..

• 02-03-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,018 ✭✭✭✭

.. but I can't find the right term to Google it.

You know the index used when there's numerous pages of search results in Google / Yahoo / any search engine? What are they called?

You know.. these things:

89622011km3.gif
    79968726um7.gif
    35992592xu1.gif

There's bound to be a technical name for them.. I just can't think of it. I keep thinking "breadcrumbs" but I know that's what used when browsing a category as a way to move back through your path to getting there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

node path maybe?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Search results paging controls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,018 ✭✭✭✭Basq

John_Mc wrote: »
    Search results paging controls?
    Cheers.

'Search Paging' is pretty much the closest I can get to something related to it... I'd have thought they'd have a "cutesy" name like "breadcrumbs"

From now on, I shall call them "Pagesies"! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

basquille wrote: »
    Cheers.

'Search Paging' is pretty much the closest I can get to something related to it... I'd have thought they'd have a "cutesy" name like "breadcrumbs"

From now on, I shall call them "Pagesies"! :D

ASP.net call them Paging controls anway, so Pagesies is close enough :)

Breadcrumbs are something different in that they represent where a user is in the navigation hierarchy of a website

John_Mc wrote: »
    Breadcrumbs are something different in that they represent where a user is in the navigation hierarchy of a website
    Yeah, am aware of that. Mentioned that in the original post... what I mean is I thought someone would have coined a more identifiable name for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, am aware of that. Mentioned that in the original post... what I mean is I thought someone would have coined a more identifiable name for them.

Maybe - SERP's - Search Engine Results Page

Although that doesn't refer directly to the index numbers, generally with 10 results per page, you can say SERP 1,2,3 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yahoo! calls them Search Pagination in their Design Pattern Library.

Cheers lads.

Definitely have my answer now anyways.

Advertisement