Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Evolution: A Fairytale for Adults"

Options
  • 02-03-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

... no I havent gone native.

This gibberish has been appearing on billboards at the side of the road around my area (Southern Cross Roundabout and the exit to the N11 specifically) and I'm wondering where this flick is being shown. I want to turn up and demand explanations for a couple of things, not the least of which is "Why have you so many words on a billboard in a place where people are passing at an average of 50kph?"

I find this kind of of propaganda very annoying so it got me thinking. We have seen that plastering slogans on the sides of busses can have an effect (usually to wind up the fundys) so how would a concerted campaign of grassroots rebellion to this kind of carry on be received?

What if we started holding our own local talks or showings of documentaries like "The Blind Watchmaker" or anything with Carl Sagan etc and did up our own billboards to leave strewn around the local roadways. Either we would see a lot of folks showing up to the meets or it would cause a public outcry that anyone dare say that their personal god was imaginary (which would be good because it would throw the hipocrisy of the religious wing into sharp relief).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Check out this thread, its been discussed at length already. Hope it helps....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496990

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ahem!

However, Hivemind, your alternative musings have saved this thread from closure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I take it no one went then? Did everyone just sit in watching the match like I did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Zillah wrote: »
    I take it no one went then? Did everyone just sit in watching the match like I did?

To be fair, if anyone wanted to listen to a bunch of loonies, one could always just turn on the 6 O'Clock news, all from the comfort of the sofa :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mena wrote: »
    one could always just turn on the 6 O'Clock news

*bong!* *bong!* *bong!*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ ROFL! ^^

Yes, those loonies who pause and let their tea go cold during the bonging. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tbh I doubt there's much of an appetite for creationist crap in Ireland at the mo (correct me if I'm wrong !), so I don't think it would be a good move to start any anti-creationism campaign.

I'd be interested in seeing an opinion poll on evolution over here actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Are they been ironic with the title? Tipping their hat to the fairytale like nature of their own beliefs? Or am I giving them way too much credit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Dave! wrote: »

I'd be interested in seeing an opinion poll on evolution over here actually

Actually how would one go about getting Irelands opinion on evolution?

Overblood wrote: »
    Actually how would one go about getting Irelands opinion on evolution?
    Commission a polling company to carry out an opinion poll? :D

It's possible one was done before, I don't recall though. The Irish Times usually get TNS/MRBI to do their polls, so if someone was that curious maybe they could contact them and ask !

http://www.tnsmrbi.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Are they been ironic with the title? Tipping their hat to the fairytale like nature of their own beliefs? Or am I giving them way too much credit?

First thing that came to mind!

ROFL, ya, we tells our kids them sciency lies while you tell the truth about magic powers, eternal life and santa clause like smiling omnipotent beings living in the clouds.

Ah people never fail to make me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

"What does surprise me is that 25% of people in Northern Ireland had given any thought to where the world came from," he said.

So in northern Ireland about 40% of people believe in some sort of creationism.

You never have surveys about whether people believe in quantum mechanics or germ theory. Why is evolutionary theory always being asked about? And why is Darwin always the image of evolution. You don't have pictures of Faraday whenever a new electronic device come out. Apple introduce a new product so theres a picture of schrodinger in the news story...

And another thing has anyone else notice evolution being used to tell fairy stories? "Men are evolved to X so thats why they cannot do Y" these usually have all the scientific basis of a just so story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Dades wrote: »
    Ahem!

However, Hivemind, your alternative musings have saved this thread from closure. ;)

Doh!

Leave it to me to miss the boat eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

What if we started holding our own local talks or showings of documentaries like "The Blind Watchmaker" or anything with Carl Sagan etc and did up our own billboards to leave strewn around the local roadways. Either we would see a lot of folks showing up to the meets or it would cause a public outcry that anyone dare say that their personal god was imaginary (which would be good because it would throw the hipocrisy of the religious wing into sharp relief).

Any thoughts?

I have my doubts as to whether an atheist movement could hope to get off the ground. In order to keep the drive going, to get people trudging out to meetings on a cold winters eve and the like - you have to have a cause worth fighting for. That which unites atheists at root is an absence of belief in God - which isn't a cause as such. Indeed atheists frequently cite this fact when it is suggested that atheism itself is a belief system (ie:Religion)

You might get some who are anti-Religion-and-what-it-stands-for. They could use the guise of atheistic thinking in order to counter what they perceive as the march of theism.

I'd imagine this to be a religious fringe group at best with Richard Dawkins being the high priest.

:)

Anybody know of anyone who attended this? It feature on any radio stations? Did it even go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Dave! wrote: »
    Anybody know of anyone who attended this? It feature on any radio stations? Did it even go ahead?

Dunno. I saw the signs and would have popped along had I been in the area. Given the advertising poster I'd imagine it would have been standard (read:Kent Hovind) Creationist fare. Good for getting the average punter who has swallowed ToE-gig whole to wondering.

But equally sure to have been detail-lite

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »

Yes, those loonies who pause and let their tea go cold during the bonging. :D

In college teh six o clock bong meant something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Galvasean wrote: »
    In college teh six o clock bong meant something else entirely.

Snoogins :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

the belief that survival of the fittest produces the most desirable results
    limits our options

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Matt Holck wrote: »
    the belief that survival of the fittest produces the most desirable results limits our options
    Sounds awful indeed. Who -- other than our old friends Adolf, Joe, Pol and Chairman -- says that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

robindch wrote: »
    Sounds awful indeed. Who -- other than our old friends Adolf, Joe, Pol and Chairman -- says that?

Wolfsbane and J C say it...

Did anyone ask about bananas?

Did anyone ask about bananas?

or peanut butter for that matter?

"Creationism - the tasty alternative to evolution!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

cavedave wrote: »
    So in northern Ireland about 40% of people believe in some sort of creationism.

I would be very interested to see how those questions were phrased etc. Surveys can be designed so elicit desired responses, which is why I'd be happier seeing something like a TNS/MRBI poll on the subject. Can't see why it'd be done though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Creationism - the tasty alternative to evolution!"
    "Creationism -- it's bananas!"

Hey, arent these the guys who had 'colourful pictures' written on their poster and had a meet up in the Spa hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

or peanut butter for that matter?

Ever see Potholer's shoot-down of that one? I love that sarky git.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Bananas, selectively bred for taste and seedlessness.

Advertisement