Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One month's use of boots, then bang...

Options
  • 02-03-2009 11:17am

Bought HiTec V Lites about 4 or 5 weeks back. I'd say I have used them about 5 times, maybe about 10-15 hours overall, and one of the plastic things through which you put the lace has just ripped off the boot. Don;t think I was lacing it too tight either.

That grinds my gears.

I presume a letter of complaint will be ignored, so I guess I'll just be wiser in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why resort to angry letter writing at this early stage ... why not just take them back to where you bought them? I presume there's some kind of guarantee on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭oneweb

If you don't tell the shop or supplier about the fault then they'll never know there was a problem. Bring them back (hopefully you still have a receipt or credit card statement as proof of purchase).

They're obviously not fit for purpose and you're perfectly entitled to a replacement or refund!

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    hopefully you still have a receipt or credit card statement as proof of purchase

That could be a problem...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Tell me you bought either the Island Pro's or Makalu's from your buddy? There's a reason why Meindl and similar are so popular.....

Hi-Tec Vlites don't even blip on the radar when I'm thinking about a boot I'd spend hard earned wedge on.

Bring them back to the shop, even without the receipt. Alternatively, see if you can get any joy out of Hi-Tec directly.

Gil

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Tell me you bought either the Island Pro's or Makalu's from your buddy? There's a reason why Meindl and similar are so popular.....

I did. Getting one of them.

And when I agreed to buy them, part of me was thinking that even though they were good value, one pair would be lying idle for some time...well that was wrong anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Dont get one get a pair. ???

As for hitec, dont anyone bpother with them as a walkign boot, nto even a trail boot. they are ok just for an office but short of that forget them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I had a pair of hitecs, got about two years of moderate use out of them, trail and street. Cheap a chips too in TK Maxx or somewhere

Brought them back to shop, after I has washed them.

Fellow in shop was nice enough, said manager away and told me to come back with them and they would ship them back to HiTec for comment. Have to wash them again though, he said customs get a bit snotty if there is any speck of dirt at all on them.

Update, got a phone call to confirm I'm getting a credit note. Shop didn't look for receipt, though on the other hand (I guess its a man thing) I did have the original shoe box still to hand. So now that I got Meindls cheap, I guess all's well that ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Update, got a phone call to confirm I'm getting a credit note. Shop didn't look for receipt, though on the other hand (I guess its a man thing) I did have the original shoe box still to hand. So now that I got Meindls cheap, I guess all's well that ends well.

Unlike the electronics trade, the outdoors market aren't anal retentive about proofs of purchase. Its fairly normal. With some brands, stores can even decide if they feel something is warranty or not instore and are allowed a certain amount for write offs - eg manufacturer x can't be arsed with a returns dept and believes that y% of their products will malfunction or develop defects and allows a certain quantity per year.

Regarding Hi-tec - I would actually say they've come on in big strides over the past number of years and produce some quite good product now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

neilled wrote: »
    Unlike the electronics trade, the outdoors market aren't anal retentive about proofs of purchase. Its fairly normal. With some brands, stores can even decide if they feel something is warranty or not instore and are allowed a certain amount for write offs - eg manufacturer x can't be arsed with a returns dept and believes that y% of their products will malfunction or develop defects and allows a certain quantity per year.

Regarding Hi-tec - I would actually say they've come on in big strides over the past number of years and produce some quite good product now.

I don't know about that. I had two pairs of Hi-Tec boots, and they both failed me on the ground. I'd still say to anyone fork out the extra €100 for Hanwags, if you can afford it.

Advertisement