Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a 3G Sim

• 02-03-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

Hey,

basic question, but I have an Iphone & just wondered if I should have been given a 3g sim.

I'm using the same sim I've had for about 5 years & seems to work fine, but I dont wanna be losing out on functionality or speed - whats the difference ?

cheers

Andi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

your current sim should be fine, if it makes you feel any better you can just go into any 02 agent or store and they'll give you a replacement sim for free, just make sure to copy your numbers from one sim to the other...

there probably is some slight differece but i've never head of any problems, those esat digifone sims are still going strong...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

A new SIM may indeed help if your old one is several years old, as changes in manufacturing process has inevitably provided us with a more advanced SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Andip wrote: »
    Hey,

basic question, but I have an Iphone & just wondered if I should have been given a 3g sim.

I'm using the same sim I've had for about 5 years & seems to work fine, but I dont wanna be losing out on functionality or speed - whats the difference ?

cheers

Andi

A new sim, regardless of whether it is 3G or not, can offer increased compatibility with handsets e.g. Nokia handsets from 2006 onwards required a 64K Vodafone sim to operate correctly, as anything below that i.e. 32K, 16K and 8K, would be insufficient.

You may find no issue with your iPhone now, so as the old adage goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rsaeire wrote: »
    You may find no issue with your iPhone now, so as the old adage goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

or he could follow the irish one of if it ain't broke, fix it til it is :D

OP, a new sim wouldn't do any harm so it's an option if you start to experience problems but if it works just stick with it. make sure to do a backup of your contacts though because old sim cards tend to crap out randomly. http://zyb.com/ is great for backups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    or he could follow the irish one of if it ain't broke, fix it til it is :D

Dont go there.....its actually in for repair at the moment - clipped the edge of it & the screen shattered !

• Advertisement
Advertisement