Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC Racing/RC Cars - Have You Got One Gathering Dust?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I posted the below on another site I'm a member of and thought I'd put it up on here,

Just wondering how many of you have purchased a Nitro RC Car at some stage, done a few laps of the street and now have it gathering cobwebs.
    Well would you be interested in racing it?

I'm a member of ORCA, a RC Club based in St Anne's Park in Raheny. http://www.orcaireland.com/
    We currently run 1/8th and 1/10th 200mm Nitro On Road cars. But for those that are new or have a different class of car we want to try encourage into the sport. We appreciate it expensive sport to get into so are planning to run Open Classes for people who want to take part. The reason its an open class is with the range of cars, the speeds and the types you can't really run them all together, much like in Mondello, but if we get the numbers to run then it would work out a very competitive class.

Our Calendar is on the site, the Club Rounds would be more suited to people starting off. The first Club Round is 8th March. During Club Round existing members would have a bit more time if you wanted to ask questions about set-up, tuning or even stuff as basic as how to start the cars. There's other information on the site including of Newsletter etc to get an idea of whats happening. There's also information about other Clubs around the Country if your not near Dublin. The track is open for use any time as it's in a Public Park so if you want to have a look. But don't be shy about coming along, just ask for me.
    If your interested then maybe come along to one of the Rounds and see what it's all about. Or alternatively post your questions here or on the Club forum.

New members can race there first 2 Club races free, but to cover Insurance etc we need people to become members after that.

Track
    StAnnesTrackb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fallaci

Been there a couple of times and I love to watch you guys racing, as for myself - my Savage is not really graet on tarmac ;). BTW: does insurance cover me outside the track and does it cover for all rc's (ie. helis)?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

You need MACI insurance for helis (and all other model aircrafts) and even then it only applys to flying at flying clubs/sites affiliated with MACI.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

that track looks class shame i live so far away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

StAnnesTrackb.jpg[/QUOTE]

Just out of interest I wonder what camera and lens that photo was taken with.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

fallaci wrote: »
    BTW: does insurance cover me outside the track and does it cover for all rc's (ie. helis)?
    I don't think it would cover you for Helis as we don't run heli races (syl77 seems to be familiar with that). It's to cover members for Club run events on the track.
    Just out of interest I wonder what camera and lens that photo was taken with.
    Canon 40D with EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens, x3 photos stitched with Canon Software, some minor editing with Photoshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've two of them in the shed gathering dust for the last 3-5 years lol.

Would of liked to get them running again, but last time I checked the tracking (or the RC cars equivilant) is off. I'd love to get a glow plug starter and see would they start. Have a bit of that pink nitro petrol, but I think it's gone to goo :P

Enjoy the day today anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jcpalm

I took my son to the said track yesterday and there were a couple of guys in there, who I assume are pros (basing on the size of toolbox and the kits they have on the track). Being a newbie, we were having a difficult time running the car. We were then joined by two younger guys which ended up helping me sort the problem out (a simple hole cut on the windscreen solved it). They mentioned that they think the other guys were members of ORCA Dublin, which was confirmed when they took the stair leading up to the upper deck and locking it away when they left.
    I would have thought since it was evident that we didn't know what we were doing, that perhaps they would have offered a suggestion on how to overcome the problem, not only to promote the club but also to encourage newcomers to the hobby (or the sport as you mentioned it).

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Thats a fairly bad show on the part of the club members, I only started getting into RC stuff this time last year, and without the help I got from other club members setting up my buggys and figuring out what problems I have had I probably wouldn't have stuck with it.

I am only involved in the off-road RC clubs so far so I haven't been out to the track above but I have met a few people who race there and also do some off road and so far I havn't come across someone who wasn't at least just friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

jcplam, dont be fooled by big bags doesnt always mean they are pro's, just a handy bag for storage. I have to say i am a member of ORCA and while i am willing to help anyone i was wondering had you asked for help or advise, normally try to help if you ask. I myself don't always know the answer but i am willing to throw in my two cent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jcpalm

My son and I were back today and we were impressed with organisation. My son David wanted to give the sport a try. Does anybody know if there are races for beginnerrs?

• Advertisement

jcpalm wrote: »
    I took my son to the said track yesterday and there were a couple of guys in there, who I assume are pros (basing on the size of toolbox and the kits they have on the track). Being a newbie, we were having a difficult time running the car. We were then joined by two younger guys which ended up helping me sort the problem out (a simple hole cut on the windscreen solved it). They mentioned that they think the other guys were members of ORCA Dublin, which was confirmed when they took the stair leading up to the upper deck and locking it away when they left.
    I would have thought since it was evident that we didn't know what we were doing, that perhaps they would have offered a suggestion on how to overcome the problem, not only to promote the club but also to encourage newcomers to the hobby (or the sport as you mentioned it).

I'm not standing up for anyone BUT you don't know the situation of the guys that were there. Maybe they had car issue and the last thing they wanted is to get stuck into something else. Also bear in mind that all too often people look/get help and they ain't seen again. As Mugen says people may be cautious about adjusting other peoples equipment especially if they don't know them. In case of damage.

In relation to the steps, unfortunately it's something we CAN'T leave for use by everyone. The Council make those stipulations not us. In fact there's only 4 keys available for it which the Committee has, so one of the members must have got the loan of the keys.
    jcpalm wrote: »
    My son and I were back today and we were impressed with organisation. My son David wanted to give the sport a try. Does anybody know if there are races for beginnerrs?

If newbies come we'll fit them in somewhere. I'm sure you see from the speed of some cars that new guys out with quick guys is not a good combination and will result in a lot of damage. The best scenario would be to have a beginners class, but unfortunately without the numbers it's impossible. Why not come along on a race day and give me a shout (Colm is my name). Sorry for not responding sooner but I have been away, and it's hard to keep up to date with all forums.

Following the success of the Longford Race Day last weekend a number of new guys are interested in coming to St Anne's for the Club Round on the 12th July. With this in mind we have the numbers to have a heat for these guys on there own to get used to there cars and the track. This would be a great opportunity for new guys coming in as we appreciate that it's tough coming in and getting started. We'll also try our best to get people help if required with car running, as these can be troublesome for someone starting out.

If anyone is interested please PM me.

To give you a taste for the day, here's some photos of the last National Round, http://www.rc-racingireland.com/component/option,com_rsgallery2/Itemid,26/catid,10/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LCRCRACING

Guys, an update from ORCA Ireland.. the website has changed to www.orcaireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IanCA

Please see :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055647179

regarding Ireland's largest on-road nitro event yet! For anyone interested in on-road model-racing, come along and witness top-quality racing in multiple classes, and learn how to get involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i just found my old 1/10 model car in the wardrobe, i think i need a new glow starter and a pull start. where's the best place to go fro them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IanCA

i just found my old 1/10 model car in the wardrobe, i think i need a new glow starter and a pull start. where's the best place to go fro them?

Hi phantom_lord, what make of car is it? Where to get a pull start (I assume you mean the cable?) will depend on that.

The best place for a glow start, and possible parts for your car are online sites like :

www.rc-mushroom.com

www.the-border.com

and

www.rcmart.com

Hope that helps.

Advertisement