Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canceling WHV before I arrive?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

I applied for and was granted a WHV(417) a few months ago and I'm due to arrive in Australia in two days but I've decided I don't want to work anymore. I may want to use the WHV on a future visit so I was reading the conditions of the Visa and it says this
    Please note: this Working Holiday Visa can only be used once. If you find your circumstances have changed after you are granted a Working Holiday Visa and you want to postpone your working holiday but you still need to travel to Australia for a brief visit, you MUST apply for a Tourist visa or another temporary visa. This will cease your Working Holiday visa and you will be able to apply for another Working Holiday Visa at a later stage, if you still meet all the eligibility criteria.

So my question is does anyone know if I can just arrive at immigration in the airport and ask them to issue me a tourist Visa or if not will my WHV be activated automatically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If I were you I'd buy the ETA - electronic travel authority - at least 48 hours before arriving at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Unfortunately I've run out of time to apply for the ETA. I'll just have to see if I can explain my situation at immigration control when I arrive. Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just ring the Australian Department of Immigration in London and tell them your plight.

Australian High Commission

+ 00 44 906 5508900

Advertisement