Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must see Movies?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

What Anime films do you think are essential viewing? I've watched a few series and a few movies but I'd like to see what people consider the cream of the crop when it comes to films.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

ninja-scroll-movie-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Ninja Scroll is ****. Don't watch it.

As for essential, almost anything by Studio Ghibli.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always recommend Wings of Honneamise in threads like these. However it's not your typical anime. It's very much grounded in reality. It's set either on another planet or in an alternative universe where mankind are about to take their first steps into space. It was the first film by Gainax that later went on to do Evangelion. Beautiful animation (it came out a year before Akira and it looks about 15 years ahead of it), art design, soundtrack and story. Just don't watch the dub, it's horrible. Just don't expect superhuman feats or tentacles, it can be a bit slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I loved it back when I was starting to get into anime, it may not be a masterpiece but is still a fairly entertaining film.

Paprika is quite an experience, definitely one of my most recommended...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I watched Ninja Scroll at the weekend, it's actually what got me thinking of this thread. I saw it mentioned somewhere so I watched it. I also watched the series. It's pretty enjoyable but some stuff really annoyed me in it.
    Is there a good place to start with the Studio Ghibli stuff? Older to newer or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Demeyes wrote: »
    I watched Ninja Scroll at the weekend, it's actually what got me thinking of this thread. I saw it mentioned somewhere so I watched it. I also watched the series. It's pretty enjoyable but some stuff really annoyed me in it.
    Is there a good place to start with the Studio Ghibli stuff? Older to newer or something like that?
    Honestly, anywhere is good.

My favourite is Porco Rosso, but Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are generally regarded as the best.

They also tend to have excellent English dubbing, which is a rarity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

devil man,ninja scroll,battle angel alita,fist of the north star,angel cop,wicked city,monster city they should keep ya going for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, awesome awesome awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Funky wrote: »
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, awesome awesome awesome.

++++1
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was probably the best I saw in '08 and a complete surprise. Just happened upon it with no hype or recommendations. Check it out

Honestly, anywhere is good.

My favourite is Porco Rosso, but Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are generally regarded as the best.

They also tend to have excellent English dubbing, which is a rarity.

AT LAST!!! Someone who agrees with me. I LOVE Porco. Totoro's my favourite but I think I rate Porco above Spirited Away. And way above Mononoke. As much as I like Mononoke I thought it was a bit too serious. Could have lightened up a bit. (Similar Tone I suppose to Nausicaa)

As for the dubbing? Well, I suppose most of us here prefer subtitles (I do anyway) but, as you said, the dubbing on the Ghibli stuff is really damn good (Arigato Lassitersan)

For the OP regarding Ghibli:

My Neighbour Totoro (Probably fan fave)
    Spirited Away (Oscar winner. Probably technicaly best)
    Princess Mononoke (Film that alerted many in the West to Ghibli)
    Porco Rosso (Underrated)
    Grave Of The Fireflies (HARROWING! I can't watch it again :) )
    Whisper Of The Heart (Nonfantasy)
    Kiki's Delivery Service (Hardcore cuteness :) )

I'm sure this'll start a row as to the order but it's the order I would chose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

++++1
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was probably the best I saw in '08 and a complete surprise. Just happened upon it with no hype or recommendations. Check it out

AT LAST!!! Someone who agrees with me. I LOVE Porco. Totoro's my favourite but I think I rate Porco above Spirited Away. And way above Mononoke. As much as I like Mononoke I thought it was a bit too serious. Could have lightened up a bit. (Similar Tone I suppose to Nausicaa)

As for the dubbing? Well, I suppose most of us here prefer subtitles (I do anyway) but, as you said, the dubbing on the Ghibli stuff is really damn good (Arigato Lassitersan)

For the OP regarding Ghibli:

My Neighbour Totoro (Probably fan fave)
    Spirited Away (Oscar winner. Probably technicaly best)
    Princess Mononoke (Film that alerted many in the West to Ghibli)
    Porco Rosso (Underrated)
    Grave Of The Fireflies (HARROWING! I can't watch it again :) )
    Whisper Of The Heart (Nonfantasy)
    Kiki's Delivery Service (Hardcore cuteness :) )

I'm sure this'll start a row as to the order but it's the order I would chose.

kiki delivery service is brilliant,I have yet to watch porco rosso.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

Surprised no one has suggested Sword of the Stranger. Amazing movie.

Also Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. (Though alot of people who never played the game had no idea what was going on in the movie.)

A Studio Ghibli marathon is always enjoyable and the detail in almost all of the backgrounds is amazing. The Cat Returns is the movie made of the novel written by Shizuku in the Whisper of the Heart. So another good one.

Girl who lept though time i agree is AMAZING I loved it.

Then there's the Naruto movies, Full Metal Alchemist movie, Bleach movies. FMA Conqueror of Shamballa is brilliant, but you should really watch all of FMA series first. (New series coming out soon hurray!)

I also enjoyed Tokyo Godfathers, quite funny.

Cowboy Bebop The Movie.

There's loads of stuff out there. Dig around on the internet and you'll find massive amounts. :)

wild arms series is good too.

watched porco rosso tonite and I thought it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

5cm per Second. Not really a movie but still a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

fitz0 wrote: »
    5cm per Second. Not really a movie but still a must watch.

Yeah, nice little short that (Well, about 1 hour). Same guy also did the Voices Of A Distant Star short (Pretty much solo)..... Mind you, he also did those digimon movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

whatever you do do NOT listen to this man :)
    ninja scroll is a must see movie when it comes to the entire genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

devil man,ninja scroll,battle angel alita,fist of the north star,angel cop,wicked city,monster city they should keep ya going for a while at least.

+1. Also (not sure if it's been mentioned) Cyber City Oedo 808. Brilliant OVA. Also Metropolis.......Perfect Blue.........Blood The Last Vampire..........I'm sure there are more, can't think of em all now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭DURKA-DURKA

Perfect Blue is good! should see howls movig castle too! kinda anoying at times but it is a must see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭DURKA-DURKA

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    whatever you do do NOT listen to this man :)
    ninja scroll is a must see movie when it comes to the entire genre

true! ninja scroll is really good!and is essential! a little odd at time to! like d big booby lady! samurai champloo is good!

space adventure cobra and cyber city are also good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement