Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in New York

• 02-03-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am a 22yr old student and have been to the states for the last 2 summers in a row. The first was a J1 where I worked for 2 months and just about scraped by financially. Last year I was out of college so I worked for the year and just went over for the summer on a 90 day holiday visa.
    I didnt work as I had enough funds to live off. This year I am hoping to go again and it will probably be a J1 visa as I will have to work to get by. I am hoping to go to New York and I'm just wondering if anybody knows what type of job scene is available for a J1 visa. I would prefer not to do any hard laboring if possible. Also, how much would you bring to New York to get by for the time you are looking for a job incl. rent deposit etc. I am hoping to live in Brooklyn.
    Any advice is appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

did the nyc thing last year, we found you had to pay a deposit + month in advance, lived in queens, bout 2000 dollars p/m. so 4k up front, thats alot of change! tough to get cheap acc within 30 mins of manhattan. not alot of jobs going either unless u wanna do bar work/waiter. we got lucky and got a job in a hotel as porter/door men. i read in a paper alot of irish had to return home coz they couldnt get jobs. its tough if u dnt have something sorted before u go or a least a few interviews. we got so lucky with everything last summer looking back at it, a columbian woman married to an irish lad gave us a basement apartment for nothing! 160 dollars each for a month coz she was doin it up after us and said she didnt care if there was holes in the walls!!
    anyway, try get something sorted b4 u go, i can give u details of the place i was if u want em

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dannyman2010

frankiebaby,dont know if ul get this,im 2 years late!!any chance ud still have contacts in NY??headin over in june for da summer as well!

Advertisement