Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any one studying for CCIE here?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

just wondering if any one here is studying for CCIE at the mo?
    looking for study partner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Gholimoli wrote: »
    just wondering if any one here is studying for CCIE at the mo?
    looking for study partner.

Hey there,

I'm studying for the R&S track but I'm at the very early stages (still haven't got CCNA).

I've read the CCNA books, CCIE Exam Cert Guide, Watched the CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal and Internetwork Expert Class on Demand for R&S.

I'm also working with the Internetwork Expert Dynamips workbook - doesn't seem too hard to be honest! (the workbook that is) but I'm not having much luck with dynamips.

I'm thinking about buying the Volume I workbooks (which are the core technologies) and working with them on rack rental while studying up to CCNP.

After this I hope to take the Heinz Ulm or Internetwork Expert bootcamp (but only if required! - Money is tight!).

I doubt I'd be much use as a study partner, I would imagine you are at least preparing for CCIE Written at the moment.

iRock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

i have passed my CCIE written.
    im going though Narbik Advanced tech workbook on GNS3 (it's very good).

i have all the Internetwork Expert stuff as well and they are really good.
    problem with Dynamips is obviously the lack of L3 switch simulation.

i was going to build my own Lab but money is tight and i cant afford to buy the 3560 swtiches that i need(i have the routers ).

i was thinking of lab rental online aswell but there is nothing like having your own lab to play with on demand.

dynamips is great for all the router technologies though and you dont really need anything else to practice routing.just for switchitng that you need a real lab.

Gholimoli wrote: »
    i have passed my CCIE written.
    im going though Narbik Advanced tech workbook on GNS3 (it's very good).

i have all the Internetwork Expert stuff as well and they are really good.
    problem with Dynamips is obviously the lack of L3 switch simulation.

i was going to build my own Lab but money is tight and i cant afford to buy the 3560 swtiches that i need(i have the routers ).

i was thinking of lab rental online aswell but there is nothing like having your own lab to play with on demand.

dynamips is great for all the router technologies though and you dont really need anything else to practice routing.just for switchitng that you need a real lab.

Agreed, dynamips is great and I have run it without any trouble but the switch setup is what bothers me. I just dont think it's enough for switching (and obviously it isn't).

Also the "vlan database" global config command is considered legacy (I could be wrong), I don't want to get into bad habbits.

The guys over at internetwork expert are offering rack rentals now and they are pretty reasonable. They're nice guys too, I have emailed Scott Morris on several occassions and he always takes the time to respond in detail and ensure I understand everything (and I haven't even bought from them at all!).

I'd like to wish you the best of luck on your journey, you know yourself it WILL be worth it. Remember "quitters never win and winners never quit".

Keep us updated!

iRock

Just out of curiosity, did you complete all exams on the path and if so in what timeframe (sorry I just want to get an idea!) or are you going straight for CCIE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

no i did CCNA couple of years a go and then got my CCNP last year and now working on the CCIE.

it depends how much time you put in and how quick you are at learning network stuff ...

just remember the more indepth and sound your fundemental knowledge is ,the better off you are and the faster you can learn new stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you load up a 3640 or similar image in Dynamips you can insert a switching module an essentially use it as a switch, not as advanced as a 35x0 but still better than the included virtual switch.
    If you plan on primarily working from vendor workbooks then Rack-Rental is the way to go. The convenience and the time you save when the rack you are logging into is already wired to spec. for your lab has a lot of value in itself. Keep the home lab for your own experimentation as you study.
    Lastly remember, study the technology not the lab, yes you need the practice but understanding should always come before just learning how to implement. I spent probably about 40% of my lab-prep time reading.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Lastly remember, study the technology not the lab, yes you need the practice but understanding should always come before just learning how to implement. I spent probably about 40% of my lab-prep time reading.

I agree totally, I think thats where I'm going to have to hit the books even harder before going throught the workbooks... well I think its okay to go through the core "technology" workbooks by IE but I don't want to go through the practice labs without knowing the technologies.

I think I should not be facing something for the first time in a practice lab. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement