Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Tower Supplier

Options
  • 02-03-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm working in a building in Dublin city centre that does not have line-of-sight due to taller buildings on all sides. I'm trying to find a company who can supply a radio mast or tower that can be mounted to the side of the building to get above the surrounding buildings.

Does anybody know of such companies selling these masts?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

there are lots of diferent companies supplying these but I guess it depends whats its for, what height is needed and what height is the building? Also there are planning issues with radio masts. Can you give us a little more info without obviosly revealing too much about your company?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you will need planning permission if you go above 6 meters based on TV aerial exemptions

you may need it even if you don't

will 6m be enough ?

if the other point isn't too far away you could try bouncing off a tall building

very dependent on frequency and power and location of the transmitter
    if in the GHz then near line of sight is a must

how is phone reception at the site ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Thanks for the replies guys.
    FusionNet wrote: »
    there are lots of diferent companies supplying these but I guess it depends whats its for, what height is needed and what height is the building? Also there are planning issues with radio masts. Can you give us a little more info without obviosly revealing too much about your company?

Company is located in Smithfield, trying to get line of sight to the Digiweb transmitter at the Guinness Storehouse. Building is three story's tall, with 4 and higher story buildings surrounding.
    you will need planning permission if you go above 6 meters based on TV aerial exemptions

you may need it even if you don't

will 6m be enough ?

if the other point isn't too far away you could try bouncing off a tall building

very dependent on frequency and power and location of the transmitter
    if in the GHz then near line of sight is a must

how is phone reception at the site ?

We had somebody come to do a line of sight check and were told that 5m should be enough. Hopefully they're correct!

Regarding bouncing off another building, that's not really an option for us. If I was a home user and was very stuck i'd consider that but not for a business.

Phone reception is awful. We've had zero luck getting a stable DSL connection from any provider. Engineers who have done site visits have told us that the copper in Smithfield is old and very poor, and we're 2.5km away from the North Main Exchange.

We're going to weigh up fixed wireless against leased lines from Eircom and BT, and an SDSL option from Magnet.

Advertisement